If you could only keep 3-5 chickens

Yes! :oops: Just remember to be real picky about which ones you don't want to keep! And you may not have to raise some of them for that long--there will probably be one cockerel, and might be one with a crossed beak or other such problem, and there will be the one that's just a nuisance because she flies out all the time, and there will be either a bully or a victim in the group... So you can choose to keep the ones that make a pretty, friendly, peaceful group.:cool:
Yes that’s what I’m thinking I’m going to do I love raising chicks, I think I’ll do my meat chickens first then order my next round of chicks. I wanted to move my chickens with the rotational grazing of the other livestock. Whether that mean with them or in the paddock after they moved to the next. And maybe my 5 favorites I’ll have in a fancy coop closer to the house. Do anybody know if kune kune would eat chickens. I don’t think the kune’s will work rotating with the other livestock so I would have them in their own 2 paddocks pens with chickens and possibly fainting goats

Wasn’t needed lol, so you sources them locally? I never seen that breed in the feed store or in their order book. I’m going to drive the wife crazy with a order of 34-40 chicks but hey
Well, we have a pretty yuppie feed store in Gig Harbor. I'd never even heard of them, but snapped them up as soon as I saw them. Researched later. Best impulse buy ever! I believe Wilco orders through Ideal hatchery, which is where I have seen them. I plan on ordering more next year if they don't get them in at the feed store!
Fair warning, they do lay plain old white eggs. I still think they're the best.

Yes that’s what I’m thinking I’m going to do I love raising chicks, I think I’ll do my meat chickens first then order my next round of chicks. I wanted to move my chickens with the rotational grazing of the other livestock. Whether that mean with them or in the paddock after they moved to the next. And maybe my 5 favorites I’ll have in a fancy coop closer to the house. Do anybody know if kune kune would eat chickens. I don’t think the kune’s will work rotating with the other livestock so I would have them in their own 2 paddocks pens with chickens and possibly fainting goats
I have Kunekunes and they have never bothered my birds. The girls have shared pasture with both ducks and chickens with nary an incident. The smaller piggy did learn that if a duck sat somewhere too long, there may be an egg, so she would investigate that.
20180812_131333.jpg

I have Kunekunes and they have never bothered my birds. The girls have shared pasture with both ducks and chickens with nary an incident. The smaller piggy did learn that if a duck sat somewhere too long, there may be an egg, so she would investigate that. View attachment 1979525
How much space do you give your kunekunes. And I see some but do you still have a nice amount of grass. I think I’m leaning on just give them their own pen they pretty much only have a pet purpose

How much space do you give your kunekunes. And I see some but do you still have a nice amount of grass. I think I’m leaning on just give them their own pen they pretty much only have a pet purpose
Hmm. I only have two acres and they are in a pen that is about 1/8 of that, maybe less? It is still pasture. They do not root. The dirt patches are from them pacing and waiting for treats. Depending on the year, sometimes I move them to a second pen (same size) if the existing pen gets too wet.
My two girls are almost five years old. Pets, only. They are super cool critters.

9C4FE3E3-F61D-4425-99CE-50146C3A86DD.png
Hmm. I only have two acres and they are in a pen that is about 1/8 of that, maybe less? It is still pasture. They do not root. The dirt patches are from them pacing and waiting for treats. Depending on the year, sometimes I move them to a second pen (same size) if the existing pen gets too wet.
My two girls are almost five years old. Pets, only. They are super cool critters.
These was my boys, most of their pen was under a tree and I didn’t move them when it got wet, so it make sense why they trampled all the grass in half the pen. I’ll just do my two pen idea with them and the nicest chickens. I really miss them can’t wait till I get more

View attachment 1979568
These was my boys, most of their pen was under a tree and I didn’t move them when it got wet, so it make sense why they trampled all the grass in half the pen. I’ll just do my two pen idea with them and the nicest chickens. I really miss them can’t wait till I get more
Oh, I love the orange piggies! You'll have to post pics when you get more.

If you're looking for attractive birds and a pretty egg basket this is what I would go with:

1. Sicilian Buttercup - small to medium white egg; attractive plumage
2. Salmon Faverolle - small to medium tinted (cream) egg; lightly feathered feet and muffs and bearded to boot
3. Ameraucana - medium to large blue egg; several varieties available
4. Easter Egger or Olive Egger - medium to large green egg; I prefer ones developed from Cuckoo Marans that give a deeper color and are also cuckoo patterened.
5. Black/Blue Copper Marans or Welsummer - medium to large chocolate (Marans) or terra-cotta (Welsummer) eggs; pretty plumage and lightly feathered feet (Marans)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom