If you could only keep 3-5 chickens

View attachment 1979568
These was my boys, most of their pen was under a tree and I didn’t move them when it got wet, so it make sense why they trampled all the grass in half the pen. I’ll just do my two pen idea with them and the nicest chickens. I really miss them can’t wait till I get more
We have two pot belly pigs...I wasn’t going to interrupt because my chickens are mostly BO and great..but when you mentioned pigs...:)
61AB79FA-A9A7-4DE8-82E7-2D79B418A3EC.jpeg
0229E3B3-0915-430C-912B-F2A4C391338E.jpeg

Oh, I love the orange piggies! You'll have to post pics when you get more.
90B4F9A1-6510-4954-BD02-24CF363CB894.jpeg

already on it I plan on starting the chicks in the spring but I already still have the pig houses and fencing setup so I’m in talks now with getting one orange and one white and black girls. Then later in the year get a orange male.
We have two pot belly pigs...I wasn’t going to interrupt because my chickens are mostly BO and great..but when you mentioned pigs...:)View attachment 1979674View attachment 1979675
I had a pot belly before, I was told kunekune shouldn’t have non veg table scraps never tried with the ones I had, more then likely I’m going to get me one for scrap control lol

And for the chickens I went from a to 5 to a top 10 lol..I’m going to look up a couple more suggestions y’all gave me then post the 10-15 different chicks I’m going to get and how I plan on hopefully narrowing it down.

View attachment 1979851
already on it I plan on starting the chicks in the spring but I already still have the pig houses and fencing setup so I’m in talks now with getting one orange and one white and black girls. Then later in the year get a orange male.

I had a pot belly before, I was told kunekune shouldn’t have non veg table scraps never tried with the ones I had, more then likely I’m going to get me one for scrap control lol

And for the chickens I went from a to 5 to a top 10 lol..I’m going to look up a couple more suggestions y’all gave me then post the 10-15 different chicks I’m going to get and how I plan on hopefully narrowing it down.
I love them. Such a lovely breed.

I've heard that Welsummers are actually intelligent chickens, so there's another positive for that breed. Unfortunately I didn't get one of those but I'd like to.

Like I posted as a reply to someone else, I love barred rock pullets! Out of my 17 chickens, I have 2 BR pullets. They started laying first (one of them started laying at 18 weeks) and lay a nice brown egg very often, are beautiful with the tiny bit of white to offset all of that black, and are very friendly. My BR pullets are in a flock of 5 pullets (2 SLWyandotte's, 1 Buff Orpington, and 2 Barred Rocks - this is the pecking order as well) all hatched on the same day. One of my BR's will actually fly up and land on my shoulder to get an up close and personal visit. My daughter was a bit jealous so I put her on my daughter's shoulder once and she learned right away to jump up for her too. My SLWyandotte's are the leaders of their flock. They don't enjoy human attention unless it's giving them treats and often they seem a bit harsh to the other girls in their flock. One of them is a total Tomboy and anytime my daughter picks her up she hackles stand on end. I love them all so much. In my younger flock, my Starlight Green Egger is my favorite, obviously. My Calico Princess Pullet is also super sweet and my most curious bird. She doesn't like to be held but a little stroke here and there is OK. I do believe she'll be my first to lay in my younger flock as she's gotten red and a larger comb and wattles overnight. My Midnight Majesty Maran (Hoover's name for a maran mix) is gorgeous but she is really timid and shy and always has been, but she is a sweetheart.

My 3 Barred Rock are my first, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!! They come to see me every time I come out to the Coop and garden after a hectic day at work. One talks constantly to me and loves to be pet, this is WHY I wanted chickens !!

Creme Legbar- Blue Eggs
Black copper maran-reddish brown eggs
Olive egger- Green Eggs
Barred Rock- Light brownish pink eggs
Leghorn- White eggs

These would be my 5
Legbar, maran, and rock def gonna make my cut. After talking to my wife and how she envisioned her coop and tractor ideas. 5-7 of them would be in the pen with the kunekunes and a unspecified number in the moveable tractor

Legbar, maran, and rock def gonna make my cut. After talking to my wife and how she envisioned her coop and tractor ideas. 5-7 of them would be in the pen with the kunekunes and a unspecified number in the moveable tractor
I love jersey giants, but they have special housing requirements and take up a lot of room. I have 2 and love them.

My 3 Barred Rock are my first, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!! They come to see me every time I come out to the Coop and garden after a hectic day at work. One talks constantly to me and loves to be pet, this is WHY I wanted chickens !!

They really are the best all around! How old were your BR girls when they started to lay? I'm curious if they tend to be early layers. I've heard the BR cockerels/roosters are really great too, but unfortunately that's not been my experience. To be honest, that is probably my fault just as much or possibly more than his. I will always have Barred Rock girls. I didn't think they would be this sweet when they were little chicks as they were so afraid and standoffish, but now, they're such sweethearts. They turned out to be like I keep hearing everyone say that Buff Orpingtons are. In my BO's defense, she is one of the last to start laying plus she went through a small molt before starting to lay, so she's still trying to get the hang of being grown up, so I'm confident that as she finds more confidence, she'll be just as sweet as the BR's!

I didn't keep them ( Barred Rock) because they were viewed as ordinary, I started with 3 RIR, friendly hens. However, they don't like anyone new, I raised 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte hens last year to increase my flock, ( they don't let me touch them) I finally got 3 Barred Rock chicks this past spring, They are the most curious, friendliest hens I've owned!! I should've started my flock this this breed. Oh well, live and learn....

Hmm. This is hard, I’m addicted to collecting chickens lol!

My list would be pretty similar to other posters if you were looking for a pretty egg basket.

Cream Legbar and/or Ameraucana
Silverudd’s Blue Isbar
Black Copper Marans
Welsummer
Olive Egger (which is a cross, not a breed, which you already know but I feel obligated to say lol)

If I was going for temperament, I LOVE my Orpingtons (mine are chocolate, might get some more colour variations next year) and Australorps. They are so friendly. My other chickens are friendly too, but if you are looking for calm and friendly pets I definitely recommend both breeds.

My Light Brahmas, Barred Rocks and Cochins are nice too.

I found Silver Laced Wyandottes to be standoffish, going to try my hand at the gold variety in the spring.

I also love Sussex chickens! Lovely birds.

I could just keep rambling on so I’ll stop while I’m ahead :lau

Back
Top Bottom