If you could only keep 3-5 chickens

I didn’t think about cold weather Layers, I’m looking into those different chickens more. Considering I forgot about the tractor chickens who’s going to be on fenced in pasture. Any of these chickens a little flighty the fencing going to be atleast 4ft. The coop that’s closer to the house would have aleast one buff and all the more friendly chickens. I wish spring would hurry up
Keep in mind, any young chickens can be flighty and probably get over a 4 foot fence. Heavier breeds would be less likely to get over a 4 ft fence when they get to laying age. (I think that was a question) About the only breed I had that didn't go over the fence were my cream legbars. Not sure why. They are a more stand offish breed but a hardy breed in my experience and lay a pretty egg.

I think most any chicken keeper who has had many different breeds will attest to the fact that not all breeds meet all the “characteristics” listed for the individual breed.

As it turned out, my second purchase of chicks included 23 different breeds. Yeah, really! I subscribe to the “go big or go home” philosophy. :lau I wanted a variety of breeds so I went to town selecting breeds I wanted. Some of these breeds I will continue to keep and some of them I will not choose again. Not for any reason other than they just didn’t suit me.

Take Australorps, for example. Mine has never gone broody and is a decent egg layer, but she is just a ho-hum bird, nothing special and kind of stand offish. Same thing with my Wyandottes, silver and golden laced and Colombian, there’s just nothing about them that strikes my fancy. :idunno Think of all the chicken keepers who absolutely love and swear by both Austalorps and Wyandottes. And there are a few others I’ll add to my list of not to purchase again. But this is just me and the particular birds I received. They just didn’t have that “IT” factor that made them stand out to me. I suppose I’m talking about their personality being very important to me. And chances are if I ever purchase another one of my least favorites, it will have a completely different personality than my first one.

I guess what all this rambling is meant to stress is that every breed can vary some from their “printed characteristics.” You may just be the one who gets an unfriendly Buff Orpington. It isn’t likely, but I’m sure some exist. But as for the list of birds that have been presented to you, so many of them are wonderful breeds. I think you’ll be pleased with any of them, but then again, some may not have that “IT” factor that satisfies you.

Best of luck with all your bird searching and purchasing.

I think most any chicken keeper who has had many different breeds will attest to the fact that not all breeds meet all the “characteristics” listed for the individual breed.

As it turned out, my second purchase of chicks included 23 different breeds. Yeah, really! I subscribe to the “go big or go home” philosophy. :lau I wanted a variety of breeds so I went to town selecting breeds I wanted. Some of these breeds I will continue to keep and some of them I will not choose again. Not for any reason other than they just didn’t suit me.

Take Australorps, for example. Mine has never gone broody and is a decent egg layer, but she is just a ho-hum bird, nothing special and kind of stand offish. Same thing with my Wyandottes, silver and golden laced and Colombian, there’s just nothing about them that strikes my fancy. :idunno Think of all the chicken keepers who absolutely love and swear by both Austalorps and Wyandottes. And there are a few others I’ll add to my list of not to purchase again. But this is just me and the particular birds I received. They just didn’t have that “IT” factor that made them stand out to me. I suppose I’m talking about their personality being very important to me. And chances are if I ever purchase another one of my least favorites, it will have a completely different personality than my first one.

I guess what all this rambling is meant to stress is that every breed can vary some from their “printed characteristics.” You may just be the one who gets an unfriendly Buff Orpington. It isn’t likely, but I’m sure some exist. But as for the list of birds that have been presented to you, so many of them are wonderful breeds. I think you’ll be pleased with any of them, but then again, some may not have that “IT” factor that satisfies you.

Best of luck with all your bird searching and purchasing.
I think I’m going to have a similar experience, when I got my first group of chickens, after they left the cute chick and pulled stage it was pretty easy to choose which ones I wasn’t going to keep. Then I had barred rocks, cream legbar, EE, RR, Wyandotte’s, and some others that’s not memorable lol. For some reason I really liked the Muscovy ducks I had really cool little guys..
and I guess ima have to get creative with adding wheels to the pen this is going to be interesting

:goodpost:
Best comment yet. But it's been fun looking at who likes what. In the end, it comes down to what you desire in a chicken. A daily egg layer, or an unusual appearance, or a pet lap chicken. Go with what you fancy.

401farmer - since you mentioned muscovy, I have a lone muscovy female with my chickens. I call her my feathered dog, except when she's in full blown molt. Poor thing is miserable right now and doesn't want to be touched. Otherwise, she's a lap duck.

Good luck with your choices!

Great post, Mimi13. For those of us who have only had one, or a few of a specific breed of chicken, it's tempting (self included) to give breed-personality feedback, but there is SO much variance between individuals. My two Australorps too, had ho-hum personalities (but were super egg producers), but I know a lot of folks that adore them. Of two Buff Orpington's, one was the sweetest bird I ever had, and the other I named Bratt (self explanatory). Two of my three Barred Rocks were love-bugs, the third is a little terror.

But, all-in-all, chickens are awesome, and after trying about 20 different breeds, not a one has disappointed me.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/welsummer.10858/
Picture of welsummer eggs there. When I say "speckled" eggs, I'm thinking little dots. Quail eggs have some rather large blotches (at least, compared with the size of the egg they're on.)

I agree, wyandottes are beautiful too! There are just so many choices for beautiful chickens...
I had some Light Brahmas years ago, and really loved them--except for those dirty feathered feet (I never saw them clean.) But that's part of why I now really like the Columbian color pattern. Those big brahmas would sit up on the top rail of the fence, looking like enormous pigeons :D

I LOVE my Welsummer but, her egg are not always speckled. Occasionally, she'll have blotches instead of speckles. She's got quite the personality and stole the noisy award from our New Hampshire. She's quite friendly though.

As for sexy birds, there’s so many to choose from!
762F8D47-DADE-4FF0-AA63-641AD0F94A82.jpeg

take for example: Florence Henderson (middle) a light Brahma that was in the Buff Brahma bin. She’s got feathered, or bell bottomed feet.
9742B469-6D72-4494-84AE-13E7DBA7E856.jpeg

Stella, my Speckled Sussex.

They really are the best all around! How old were your BR girls when they started to lay? I'm curious if they tend to be early layers. I've heard the BR cockerels/roosters are really great too, but unfortunately that's not been my experience. To be honest, that is probably my fault just as much or possibly more than his. I will always have Barred Rock girls. I didn't think they would be this sweet when they were little chicks as they were so afraid and standoffish, but now, they're such sweethearts. They turned out to be like I keep hearing everyone say that Buff Orpingtons are. In my BO's defense, she is one of the last to start laying plus she went through a small molt before starting to lay, so she's still trying to get the hang of being grown up, so I'm confident that as she finds more confidence, she'll be just as sweet as the BR's!

My BO was nervous and standoffish in the beginning. Once she started laying she turned in to such a sweetheart. She falls asleep in my arms now instead of screaming for me to put her down.

Back
Top Bottom