If you don't save your feathers, can I have them?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I love feathers. I chose most of my flock for their feathers. I am a crafter and a costumer (as are many of my friends) and it just seems like you can never have enough feathers! I know this isn't the case with everyone, that many don't use them, and don't know anyone who does... when I think of all the feathers that must just be going to waste, it makes me sad! So I thought that I could use this wonderful forum to find people who have feathers they don't want, and ask if I may have them.
    ***Pardon me if I posted in the wrong section, I just think those raising meat birds are most likely to have large batches of surplus feathers, as they are the only ones who regularly de-feather whole chickens***
    I really am serious about this. I want feathers in every color! The more, the better! If I ever get overwhelmed with the quantity of feathers, I have at least 5 people who can use them, not to mention countless local theaters to whom I can donate.
    Of course, I do not expect anyone to spend their money to send me feathers. If you are willing to package them, that is more than enough! I will happily pay packaging and shipping costs. Feathers are light and not fragile, so it shouldn't be too much.
    I have found that a gallon sized ziplock bag will hold the loose feathers of one plucked chicken, while a large pizza box full of rock salt is enough for the skin and wings of a chicken-maybe two. With the rock salt to preserve it, it does not matter how long shipping takes, it cures in the box. In the warmer months, simply plucking scalded chickens over a large cardboard box works well. Just leave it in the sun and stir every few hours and they dry fine. In the winter though... I can't ask anyone else to take the effort of drying upon themselves. If you can get them in the ziplock wet, I will dry them myself when they get here. I can set up drying screens easily enough.... And, as I stated above, I will re-imburse you for money spent on rock salt, packing tape, ziplocks, and shipping.
    So, that being said... please keep me in mind when you decide to proccess any birds. It really would make my day to get a box of feathers in the mail.
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll send you all the feathers you can handle. 75 birds at a time, all white feathers, you can have them all. I won't have any until spring though.

3. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

The colored range broilers that some folks are raising for meat have really lovely feathers. Especially the tri-color. If you can get some of those, you would be in great shape.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Tamra, what area are you in? There may be folks nearby who would let you know when they butcher, and maybe you could pick the feathers up.

5. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

I am in Southern Oregon, the Rogue Valley. I have LOOKED for nearby BYCers, and found none closer than an hour. There is a place about 45 min away which advertizes that they proccess for smale scale farmers and hunters. I have been thinking of calling them and asking for feathers- especially during turkey season.
    jaku - Waiting till spring is fine! I am in the process of buying a house and I will be moving soon, so that gives me time to settle in. I don't mind white feathers (I have been wanting to make a set of angel wings, anyway) and my birds don't give me many white ones. I'd be happy to get any color at all. If you tell me you only have the colors I already have, I will say GREAT! Thats why I picked my breeds, cuz they are so pretty! Tell me you have another color like blue, buff, white etc and I will say GREAT! I don't have any of that color yet!
    I am pretty easy to please. I love variety... I just wish I knew people who had peacocks and pheasants and turkeys and emus... I just love feathers!

6. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Its spring now.... Time to start chicks! Which means soon people will be processing. Anyone outh there want to send me feathers?

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    We might be proccesing a few extra roos soon--rir, rirx and slw. I'm mostly posting so I can find you again since my computer crashed and I can't use the subscribe feature to get email alerts on the one I'm using.

8. exsia

exsia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Damascus, Oregon
    Hi Tamara,

I may be able to help you out! I'm located by Portland though. We get all sorts of feathers in all different colors. I can always dry pluck if you'd prefer. Please pm me if you'd like and we can chat [​IMG]

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Haha, if you want them, I will have more white feathers than you could ever use. I'm getting 75 birds that will be ready at the end of May. They will be dirty, stinky, probably have a little gravel mixed in (I pluck on my driveway,) and wet, but I'll send them if you want them. Remind me by PM towards the end of May, and I'll save them, weigh the full box to estimate the shipping cost, and once you Paypal that to me, they're all yours!

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I have some nice feathers for you. Clean and dry. Most have been washed and dried, but even the unwashed ones are fairly clean. you might want to wash them, I'll label the unwashed ones, in a separate bag. Multiple colors, black, black & white, brown, brown & black, red, gold, many two toned, a few might be three-toned. Mostly chicken, some turkey. Lots of really pretty roo feathers, nice tail and hackle feathers. Want some guinea feathers, too? I have plenty.

PM me your addy, I'll send you some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by