If you had fifteen minutes to talk about ducks to people who own other livestock, what would you say

Ooh, maybe I need to talk just a bit about drakes, the optimum drake:duck ratio and the danger to hens (of the chicken sort).

Fifteen minutes.  Right.
Yes - please mention this.

I had this issue and had to re-home my very first drake (who I loved). It would have been useful if I knew before hand, but as soon as I found out he was a drake, I started to worry. There is a reason to worry too.

I haven't read everything on this thread, but I'd mention how much more work ducklings are than baby chicks. 12 ducklings are the equivalent to 50 chicks for amount of work - and that was just calll ducklings.

I would mention brooding ducklings. I'd like to know how to do it with less mess/smell. Wood brooders are not so great for brooding ducklings. Linoleum flooring on brooder would definitely be worth the investment. Wood + wet = rot.

A lot of what I read on here when I started suggested medicated starter to be a big danger - when in fact it isn't.

Medicated Starter with Amprolium or Bacitracin in it will NOT harm your waterfowl. I have confirmed this with two Poultry Research Veterinarians. I have used medicated starter on all of my birds for years now – chicks and ducklings alike – and have had no problem. This myth was actually once true years ago when different types of drugs were used in medicated feeds. But with the use of Amprolium in particular now, it is no longer a concern.
Ref: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page21.htm

Voice sexing. That is something I find very interesting, and I'm sure others would as well.

Putting ducks on pasture as soon as possible is very beneficial. They don't need to be brooded as long as chicks and though they feather out much slower, are less susceptible to cold temps at a young age than baby chicks. I put my calls out of the brooder at 4 weeks. I couldn't clean that brooder one more time. It was costing me a fortune in shavings.

How about bedding material? I'd like to know what is suggested myself.

Keep water out of coop. Especially if you house them with chickens. They create a massive problem with wet food which starts to smell almost immediately. Chickens will mix the shavings in with the wet feed and bedding will have to be changed very frequently if you have food and water in the coop at night. I am going to have to figure out what to do to solve this issue for winter, as no one likes to leave the safety of the barn when it is snowy.

These are all my experiences.

Oh wait.. What about letting them swim at a young age? Did someone mention that? Everyone gets ducklings and thinks "OH they have to swim.. Let's stick this 1 week old duckling in the bathtub". No. Don't do that. They can (but might not) drown. My calls swam early. I put their water in a kennel bottom (which they proceeded to spill all through the kennel) and then swam around.

Duck broodiness. Muscovies hide their eggs like Olympic champions of hide and seek. They often do it outdoors as well, which can be a safety concern at night.

LWAYS check your local and state laws before buying ducks. Migratory ducks require permits to keep them.

NO ducks can not be bought, tossed onto a pond and be ok

NO you can not just dump them at the park when you tire of them

NO you can not just goto the park and take birds or eggs from a nest

....edited above to remove typoes so there is no confusion

Last edited:
How about, "I love ducks. Any questions?"

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I haven't even finished reading this whole thread yet, but this got me laughing so hard, I had to do a quick post.
woot.gif
Good luck with your presentation!!
thumbsup.gif

I'll say again that I do think your talking points really ought to depend on your audience and why you are giving the talk. If these are folks who are thinking of adding ducks, for sure, let them know about the negatives (withough overwhelming them). I think it's a most excellent point by Aoxa above that brooding is a whole different story with ducklings than it is with chicks. I did a ton of research beforehand, read Storey's Guide... etc., and I was still unprepared for the mess ducklings make. I was SO glad when I was finally able to put them in their coop/run.

I use pelleted pine bedding, by the way, it is bar none, the most absorbent bedding material on the market. (I do use pine shavings in their nest boxes, though.)

I'll say again that I do think your talking points really ought to depend on your audience and why you are giving the talk. If these are folks who are thinking of adding ducks, for sure, let them know about the negatives (withough overwhelming them). I think it's a most excellent point by Aoxa above that brooding is a whole different story with ducklings than it is with chicks. I did a ton of research beforehand, read Storey's Guide... etc., and I was still unprepared for the mess ducklings make. I was SO glad when I was finally able to put them in their coop/run.

I use pelleted pine bedding, by the way, it is bar none, the most absorbent bedding material on the market. (I do use pine shavings in their nest boxes, though.)
Wynette,

I have met a number of the people in the audience, and they own other livestock, some of them chickens, most of them horses, a few with cattle, goats, sheep, one with a couple of Pekins. Some are just curious about ducks (as in, what's so good about ducks?), some have wondered whether they might add some. And then there may be an unexpected guest or two for whom I won't be sure.

I think you are right to emphasize that no matter how prepared you are (I also did a ton of research), going through the brooding process was pretty much a full time job for me and it was a blessing that I was able to shift my responsibilities around and take care of matters. My biggest take-home lesson from that was that water management is key. Once I got that worked out, life got a little easier. Second to that is how rapidly management needs change because ducklings develop so quickly.

I think another handout to develop will be something like an abbreviated, bullet-point list something like what I posted half in jest earlier in this thread. Perhaps I aim for eight minutes of talk and then open it for questions. If the audience wants to go over the fifteen minutes, they can sort it out. It may go twenty-five.

To everyone,

THANK YOU ALL!!!! for your responses so far. I feel the caring support and wise counsel and it is a wonderful gift. CelticOaksFarm, love your list. aoxa, EggLuver, yes, all those things bear mention.

If you think of anything else, please please let me know. This will take place early next month.

Yes - please mention this.
I had this issue and had to re-home my very first drake (who I loved). It would have been useful if I knew before hand, but as soon as I found out he was a drake, I started to worry. There is a reason to worry too.
I haven't read everything on this thread, but I'd mention how much more work ducklings are than baby chicks. 12 ducklings are the equivalent to 50 chicks for amount of work - and that was just calll ducklings.
I would mention brooding ducklings. I'd like to know how to do it with less mess/smell. Wood brooders are not so great for brooding ducklings. Linoleum flooring on brooder would definitely be worth the investment. Wood + wet = rot.
A lot of what I read on here when I started suggested medicated starter to be a big danger - when in fact it isn't.
Ref: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page21.htm
Voice sexing. That is something I find very interesting, and I'm sure others would as well.
Putting ducks on pasture as soon as possible is very beneficial. They don't need to be brooded as long as chicks and though they feather out much slower, are less susceptible to cold temps at a young age than baby chicks. I put my calls out of the brooder at 4 weeks. I couldn't clean that brooder one more time. It was costing me a fortune in shavings.
How about bedding material? I'd like to know what is suggested myself.
Keep water out of coop. Especially if you house them with chickens. They create a massive problem with wet food which starts to smell almost immediately. Chickens will mix the shavings in with the wet feed and bedding will have to be changed very frequently if you have food and water in the coop at night. I am going to have to figure out what to do to solve this issue for winter, as no one likes to leave the safety of the barn when it is snowy.
These are all my experiences.
Oh wait.. What about letting them swim at a young age? Did someone mention that? Everyone gets ducklings and thinks "OH they have to swim.. Let's stick this 1 week old duckling in the bathtub". No. Don't do that. They can (but might not) drown. My calls swam early. I put their water in a kennel bottom (which they proceeded to spill all through the kennel) and then swam around.
Duck broodiness. Muscovies hide their eggs like Olympic champions of hide and seek. They often do it outdoors as well, which can be a safety concern at night.

Wow, I just learned a couple things from this one post alone! Thank you.

Ducklings are easy when raised by mama but if you don't have that option, use wood pellets for absorption and place their water bowls on a large shallow tray...I use large plastic tote lids or platters.

Some use chicken wire on the bottom of the brooder cage (Rabbit Hutch).

So, you definitely need different supplies in comparison to chicks.

Ducklings are easy when raised by mama but if you don't have that option, use wood pellets for absorption and place their water bowls on a large shallow tray...I use large plastic tote lids or platters.

Some use chicken wire on the bottom of the brooder cage (Rabbit Hutch).

So, you definitely need different supplies in comparison to chicks.
Well said, thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom