If you had to choose...

I'm going to go against the grain. If it was me, I would keep the Brahma. I've heard of Wyandotte males turning human aggressive far more often than Brahma males. Brahmas in general are just a more docile breed. And I think your bantam hens will have an easier time escaping from a Brahma than a Wyandotte.

Also, I wouldn't judge the Brahma based on his behavior toward the other cockerel. That is perfectly natural. What counts is his behavior toward you and your hens. You want a boy that is a little afraid of you, and is respectful of the females. A cockerel that shows no fear, even if he is cuddly and sweet now, stands a higher chance of becoming human aggressive in the future because of the lack of fear.

Behavior is the most important issue!!!
A cockerel who avoids you is much more likely to avoid human aggression issues later; I've never been pleased with the 'friendly' ones.
You will have to make a choice, because both can't stay.
None of us keep the 'right one' every time! For one reason or another, things don't always work out. That's how it goes, and don't feel guilty about it. It's a learning experience...
Mary

Yes, thank you! I have a foot of snow and no other place to put a separated bird other than my garage, and I don't have a crate, etc.. I only have 7 other birds - 2 bantam hens, a silver laced wyandotte, a brahma, a barred rock, a buff orp, and an EE. They're really my pets, so I just want them all to be happy and safe. I didn't necessarily want a male, but I bought a couple of random unsexed chicks this spring and of the 7 three were male (one was a bantam rooster that I re-homed months ago because he was just a creep). I decided to keep one for flock protection because I live in a pretty rural area and have seen foxes, dogs, bears, etc. Now I have a place for one of them, but of course I'm attached to both and can't decide who should go because I don't know much about roosters. If the brahma stays will he stay pretty chill without another male in the mix? He's pretty calm now - he's afraid of my older hens actually.
Get a crate - or few, essential equipment for chickeneers, IMO.

Well, that's good, someone wants one of them like now?
You might just have to do an eenymeenymineymo before they change their minds.

Get a crate - or few, essential equipment for chickeneers, IMO.

Well, that's good, someone wants one of them like now?
You might just have to do an eenymeenymineymo before they change their minds.

I agree, I need a crate - and I hesitated buying one this summer when I had a hen go broody.
And yes, a neighbor with too many hens and only 1 male has volunteeed to take one, which this time of year is amazing. I’m leaning towards keeping the Brahma. He tries to boss the hens around mostly unsuccessfully, and he’s definitely not running up to me for snuggles!

I'm going to go against the grain. If it was me, I would keep the Brahma. I've heard of Wyandotte males turning human aggressive far more often than Brahma males. Brahmas in general are just a more docile breed. And I think your bantam hens will have an easier time escaping from a Brahma than a Wyandotte.

Also, I wouldn't judge the Brahma based on his behavior toward the other cockerel. That is perfectly natural. What counts is his behavior toward you and your hens. You want a boy that is a little afraid of you, and is respectful of the females. A cockerel that shows no fear, even if he is cuddly and sweet now, stands a higher chance of becoming human aggressive in the future because of the lack of fear.

I have a Wyandotte hen and she’s at the top of the pecking order, and so I’ve wondered how the male will turn out.
The Brahma is calm once caught, but he definitely is still wary of me - when I open the door in the morning he goes the other way haha. I’m leaning towards keeping him instead of the Wyandotte.

Go with the brahma then, and keep working on your 'relationship' with him.
Cock/erel demeanor often has more to do with the humans behaviors than the birds.
They should stay away from you, be a little tiny bit afraid of you...but they should also trust you and know you will not hurt them if you touch them or the girls.
Be 'dominant' but not a 'threat'.
It's a delicate balance that takes time and awareness to cultivate.

Back
Top Bottom