If you had to choose...

trista85

Songster
6 Years
Oct 1, 2017
South Royalton, VT
... between keeping a BLRW cockerel or a buff Brahma cockerel (because the Brahma is being mean to the Wyandotte) which would you keep?

I have a small backyard flock, o my enough girls for 1. Both cockerels are the same age and the Brahma is not playing nice anymore with the Wyandotte. Both are fine with me, fine with the hens, etc - but one has to go.. I really like both and am having a hard time choosing. I’m leaking toward keeping the wynandotte but my Wyandotte hen is a miserable girl and I worry that if the other cockerel is gone he may become aggressive. Thoughts and input appreciated!

The bigger the rooster the more damage they can do to the hens back. Keeping 2 roosters is often a problem, as they will focus on each other.

Which do your hens seem to like more?

Just make sure that if you decide on the Wyandotte to temporarily remove the Brahma to see the Wyandotte true nature. He may not be nice once he's top rooster, and gains confidence. I have tried 4 different Wyandotte roosters and all just wanted to mate constantly and nothing else, so be sure to try him out before being rid of the Brahma.

If you can set up a separate coop, you could leave one of these cockerels with the flock for a while (weeks at least) and see how he does. Then, if you aren't convinced that he's the right guy, trade places so the other cockerel is with the flock.
I've never done this, so I'm not speaking from experience here.
Or, offer them both for sale, and keep the one who remains.
Mary
PS> I prefer Wyandottes myself, but picking the right boy is more important than who he is, unless you do have specific breeding plans.

Trials separation might shine some light on who is best,
but can be difficult to do, will take time, and is not always definitive.

I'd ask how small is your flock(ages and numbers)....and why do you want a male??
If it's to breed more birds, then the choice should be easy.
If it's primarily behaviors, pick the one you like best and manage his behavior.

The bigger the rooster the more damage they can do to the hens back. Keeping 2 roosters is often a problem, as they will focus on each other.

Which do your hens seem to like more?

Just make sure that if you decide on the Wyandotte to temporarily remove the Brahma to see the Wyandotte true nature. He may not be nice once he's top rooster, and gains confidence. I have tried 4 different Wyandotte roosters and all just wanted to mate constantly and nothing else, so be sure to try him out before being rid of the Brahma.

I wondered about the size too, but they're both pretty big. My hens are another brahma, a silver laced wyandotte, barred rock, and buff orp. Plus 2 bantams but they're good at slipping out of the way.
I only wound up with roosters by accident - my local feed store had a mixed bin and they weren't sexed so I took a gamble.

Trials separation might shine some light on who is best,
but can be difficult to do, will take time, and is not always definitive.

I'd ask how small is your flock(ages and numbers)....and why do you want a male??
If it's to breed more birds, then the choice should be easy.
If it's primarily behaviors, pick the one you like best and manage his behavior.

Yes, thank you! I have a foot of snow and no other place to put a separated bird other than my garage, and I don't have a crate, etc.. I only have 7 other birds - 2 bantam hens, a silver laced wyandotte, a brahma, a barred rock, a buff orp, and an EE. They're really my pets, so I just want them all to be happy and safe. I didn't necessarily want a male, but I bought a couple of random unsexed chicks this spring and of the 7 three were male (one was a bantam rooster that I re-homed months ago because he was just a creep). I decided to keep one for flock protection because I live in a pretty rural area and have seen foxes, dogs, bears, etc. Now I have a place for one of them, but of course I'm attached to both and can't decide who should go because I don't know much about roosters. If the brahma stays will he stay pretty chill without another male in the mix? He's pretty calm now - he's afraid of my older hens actually.

There are clues to how a roo will be, but no guarantees as they mature. I had a complete SOB Brahama roo, and two years later had one that was wonderful. I currently have a really good GL Wyandotte, one of his offspring was also an SOB, another of his offspring is a GLW/EE mix and he's also a good roo and still with us. Breed is less important to me than the actual temperament, for others the breed may matter a lot. Most young cockerels are going to be over zealous, some will calm down with maturity, some will not. Sometimes it can be a hard choice, I wish you luck.

Back
Top Bottom