If you had to live off just the food in your house...

I can feed a few families until we all die of natural causes provided they don't expect to sit on their collective hinnies. If they do, they need to make trip to the store.

It would be a lot of grains and bread, but we could go probably 5 months. The fridge is almost empty right now because we're getting a new one. It makes me nervous.

Honestly? 2 weeks, maybe. But it would require butchering a couple of my older hens. I don't have ANY meat in the house.

I had a bunch of frozen chicken and beef, but hurricane Irene knocked the power out for a couple days and I lost all my frozen stuff. Haven't been able to afford to stock back up.

Technically, DH could go hunt for meat and we would be fin with that and eggs and canned goods, but I don't eat game. Shoot, I only eat beef maybe once every couple weeks and NEVER pork. My stomach can't handle it.

I've got enough dry goods to make at least 12 loaves of bread. But I'm all out of yeast. So I could start a sourdough maybe. I can't wait til we get out pantry built!! Then I can REALLY stock up on dry goods!!

M.sue :

Quote:
The never ending milk trip.......We should invest in a cow for the amount we go through!

I SOOOOO want to do this! Unfortunantly I live in suburbia and 1) There is no room for a goat and 2) there are laws against 'hoofed stock'. As much milk as we go through it would be worth it. Not to mention more fun than running to the grocery store every week with my 4 month old.​

Also not to mention, raw milk straight from a good Jersey or a rich-supplying Goat is WAAAY better than storebought milk.

I hated milk with a passion until I drank some from one of our goats.
smile.png
Sweetest, creamiest stuff ever.

Well, I can a lot! I also have a garden still going well with fall foods coming in now. Honestly, between the chickens and ducks and things... we could go until the spring. Its just going to be a LOT of tomatoes, pickles, greens and such.
lol.png

At least a month, probably longer. We just stocked our freezer with meat, so we'd be eating more meat than anything else.

So for us, the garden and animals included - I'd say as long as we can get some successful crops. We've got a greenhouse, a huge one, plus plenty of chickens to supply us for the winter months and fall and spring here are very mild, so greens are abundant, plus there's even the wild weeds/stuff and the orchard to eat around here.

Our protein content will be low through most of the year, but other than that, I'd say we'll last a long time.

Quote:
am living in a residential centre and not able to cook,so relie on staff with day to day functioning.
the home gets council funding for food for everyone as one whole,and it goes towards cheap supermarket food via delivery.

right now,we have no food in,well the others have plenty but thats because they ate all of mine first,and have not got a crumb left-am only able to eat certain things due to autism.
its not fair as am continuously expected to pay for more food when its already paid for and have not got the money to buy anything,the others have got a ton of savings but never have to buy anything extra, it will be easier going back on vomit inducing ensure plus,plus at least will be able to predict the ensure is always there.

our farm has all sorts of vegetables,but they have to be spread out between our residential centre,and all the network houses so in reality theres very little per house.

Back
Top Bottom