If you have a dog.....

Our farmdog is a shepherd mix, he acts like they're not even there.

Our new dog is a pound pup, best guess is a great dane/lab mix. He's killed two chickens and despite carrying a corpse for a few days and sessions with an electric collar, he was still after my bantam cochin roo this am
somad.gif

I have worked with him so much! He is not going after my grown hens, just the babies that make such cool sounds. He also chases cats. Let's just say he's NOT my favorite dog today
rant.gif

I've got a goldendoodle and he's great. But don't get me wrong. It tooks a few weeks of good training. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a chicken! I throw a handful of scratch out, he's right in there trying to eat it up.

Great Pyrenees. He's good NOW with the birds, but I had to tackle him and beat him with a dead chicken until he got the hint. He was still in the puppy phase (but still 100 lbs) and has grown out of it now. He still chases the cats, but that is just play for both of them.
32271_max_vs_smart.jpg

Notice my Bantam Auto in the background.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
A black lab, a Jack Russell and a mutt who looks like a chihuahua/terrier mix. They never killed a chicken but used to half-heartedly chase them. With a little "leave it" training, they ignore them. Been together a few years. Two cats, too.

Sheltie was great with our older hens. Not so great with the younger chicks. If they run she'll chase. I wouldn't trust her since she licks her chops when she's chasing them.
somad.gif

My shepherd/malamute mix never new the chicks were living in the basement. But as soon as they were moved out to the coop it was a different story. He did everything he could to get at those chickens. He's the reason I added a second layer of fencing to the run.

Back
Top Bottom