If you have a red star/golden comet/gold sex-link... i have a ?

georgialee

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Knoxville, TN
How many ounces is your average pullet egg? I'm trying to figure out which of my chickens is laying very dependably every single day for over THREE weeks!!! The eggs I'm getting are medium brown and 1.3-1.4 ounces. It's either my sex-link or one of my bantam cochins.
smile.png

Last edited:
My Red Star started laying at 19 weeks; she started out with close to normal sized large eggs and quickly moved up to her regular 3 oz size - that's like 2X Jumbo. She lays every day like clockwork - except when she's having soft egg issues - probably every 2 months or so. I guess it happens to her so much more because she's got to make so much more eggshell.

We feed Purina layer pellets to ours. They are consistent at 2.5 or above. Sold as xl for 3 bucks per dozen. Cost is at .06 per egg including corn fed as scratch after 5 daily.
This flock is at 24 weeks.

Last edited:
How old is your Pullet ? My RSL has been laying for a little over 2 weeks and has only missed 2 days .. I dont have a scale but her eggs are small , smaller that store baught small eggs .. they are getting bigger by the day , but still small .She does lay like clock work .. every 23 1/2 hours . Yes , I am a NOSY chicken mom ....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom