If You Have Chickens, They Will Come.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrbstephens, Oct 25, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard this said before on BYC, but didn't believe it till today. I heard the screeching of a hawk!!! I thought, "Am I going crazy, or do I hear a hawk?" Sure enough, there, through the trees I saw two red-tailed hawks circling high over head. I don't live on a farm and have NEVER seen a hawk in my neighborhood before, although they are on Long Island. I do see them every time I drive a little farther north toward the farming area, but where I live it's wooded and near the ocean. Only thing I've ever seen flying over head was a seagull, crow, raven, and quite often aggressive blue jays(my chickens chase them away). So, I'm a little stressed now! I let the chickens free range for 2 hours in the morning and the rest of the time they are in the run which is covered with bird netting. Do hawks come after full grown chickens? Will they grab them out of my wooded backyard???

2. mrbstephens

[​IMG]

3. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Yes, hawks can go after full grown chickens. I haven't had a problem with them in a few years, but when I did, the hawk was very brazen about eating my hen to pieces right in front of me and about 20 feet from my back door.

My dogs scare them away. And my chickens have a lot of cover to go to when one flies overhead: under decks, under outbuildings, in bushes, under the porch.

I'd say, if the hawk can see them in the woods and they haven't taken cover, yes, the hawk can get them. Some people hang CDs and tin plates around their grazing areas. That sometimes scares them away. Some people have really done a good job about trying to keep them away and posted images in this section.

4. Zuesdude

Zuesdude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    OH
    Yes.... Eat them right on the spot! Eagles will also, I'm in Ohio and we have Eagles, Bears, even Rats that will eat chickens, it's the other white meat you know.

5. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I have heard a lot about hawk dive bombing full grown chickens and leaving a big pile of feathers as a result.

I have no idea if they would attack in a heavily treed area, although i doubt it would deter them.

I hear that if you hang CDs in your trees, it keeps them away, although it might look a little tacky

[​IMG]

hey, if you have chickens, and love them, people already assume you're crazy

[​IMG]

6. mrbstephens

Quote:Yes I already have my CDs on the table ready for hanging. I know, people already think I'm crazy, so whatever! They do have a lot of bushes to hide under. Once the crows were in the yard making a ruckus and the chickens wouldn't even come out for a treat I was offering.

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    You won't even notice those hanging CDs after awhile. Except to smile to yourself and say, "Keep on working, please keep on working..so far, so good".

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    They will sometimes just drop down into a pen and walk up to a bird and kill and eat it. Especially young chicks. No defense for that outside of a net. Criss-crossing it with polypropylene twine and hanging pie tins or cd discs is a way to stop a swoop & grab by a hawk. Chicken hawks will take full-grown hens on a swoop & grab. Redtails are smaller, but are chicken killers nonetheless. Don't know if they can carry off a full grown chicken tho. They all try to target a smaller prey if possible, but are opportunists.

9. mrbstephens

Ok. I have my CDs in the trees. The house behind mine is for sale. Think the rooster crowing and the tree ornaments will deter buyers? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by