if you have genetic questions

Okay another question would the prodigy breed true after such a cross?

Yes, I think so, in a way -- blue x blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% black, etc. So I believe with blue barring it would be the same.

The eggs, however -- not sure about that one, but you would probably get chickens that laid sky blue and others that lay nearly white...a variance in colors. This I am not 100% sure about because I am not sure about the white egg gene's tendencies (my first white egg layer is actually only three weeks old)! At any rate, you would choose the best blue egg layers to breed and then you might have more uniformity in offspring eggs.

Cool this seems like a neat little project for me to take up I think they would turn out to be a very pretty and interesting bird. :) Thanks for answering my questions.

Cool this seems like a neat little project for me to take up I think they would turn out to be a very pretty and interesting bird. :) Thanks for answering my questions.

You are welcome! I am still learning myself and new to chicken genetics!

Do you have any barred birds or Ameraucanas currently?

Okay another question would the prodigy breed true after such a cross?
The combs would vary at first, as single combs are recessive. That could be cleared up over time if you select for single combs. Of course if you live somewhere cold you may want to select for pea combs instead.

Type would vary also. You may want to breed towards the Holland type, or more towards the Ameraucana side. Offspring will also initially inherit partial beards from the Ameraucana parent.

Last edited:
The combs would vary at first, as single combs are recessive. That could be cleared up over time if you select for single combs. Of course if you live somewhere cold you may want to select for pea combs instead.

Type would vary also. You may want to breed towards the Holland type, or more towards the Ameraucana side. Offspring will also initially inherit partial beards from the Ameraucana parent.

That's true, I was only considering "breeding true" from the egg color/feather color points.

I figured you just meant the color breeding true. I know absolutely nothing about egg color.

I'm sure you have been learning chicken genetics for a while - I don't know very much about egg color genetics either, just green/blue egg genes from research.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom