if you have genetic questions

I need some info on genetics. I know that certain genetic traits are linked to each other and would like to know what other traits are linked to the frizzle gene, the gene connected with the aracuana tufts and the top crest (feathers) (cream legbars hairdo).

I have a legbar roo over a frizzle and a tufted aracuana. I would love to get a tufted mix with blue eggs and a legbar hair do and a frizzle with blue eggs. Are these genes compatible? Is it just a genetic coin toss?
None appear to be closely linked. http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/linkages.html

Quote:
The frizzle gene is not a lethal gene. Some frizzle birds do have a syndrome associated with the homozygous condition. I do agree that tufted can be an embryonic lethal.

There is a recessive gene that modifies the homozygous and heterozygous frizzle phenotype.

Tim
I know that double dose frizzles do tend have some health issues; do you know if the unfrizzling recessive also helps negate those health issues?

Except his fading is on hen turkeys, not hen chickens
wink.png
Mis Sonoran do you believe those Lemon colored birds are due to cream added to the buffs or Domiant White doing the Diluting?

Quote:
RedPyle birds the ones you see in shows are heterozygous for dominant white to keep the red in in... Homozygous Dominant white does dilute the ground color Think of Buff Laced Wyandottes, they are basically gold laced wyandotte with dominant white doing the Diluting... also buff laced polish here is a comparison of them(god vs buff)

example
BuffvsGoldLaceWyandottes.jpg
now its possible to enhance the red by introducing Mahogany but on a non red enhanced birds Dominant white is enough to do the dilution.

Last edited:
Suze,

I do not believe the research included the effects of the recessive modifier on the health of the frizzle chicken. I will have find the information on the subject. I will get back with you.

Tim

Quote:Originally Posted by Lorilyn Farms

I didn't like the fading on some of my birds, either. I starting adding in what I think is the pumpkin patch of genes and it did eliminate the fading problem. Since the buff is such a different bunch of color combinations, some buffs will fade, others won't. Adding a bird with the brighter pumpkin coloration did seem to do the trick. Here are some examples of buff with whatever the pumpkin gene really is...these birds did not fade under the hottes

There is not a pumpkin gene. The pumpkin color is due to the interaction of several genes; columbian, dark brown, wheaten, gold. To these you can also add mahogany and autosomal red. Autosomal red is not a real gene but a term for red not caused by the gold gene. Mahogany and autosomal red will deepen the hue of the pumpkin color.

I had various buff or pumpkin variations segregate in work I was doing. Because of my limited resources I could not determine why the birds varied. I did notice that in some of my wheaten birds it seemed as though the under color did not stop and extended into the contour feathers.

Tim

Last edited:
Mis Sonoran do you believe those Lemon colored birds are due to cream added to the buffs or Domiant White doing the Diluting?
Niclandia, the few dom white genes I had in my flock I've gotten rid of over the years. I'm even removing all blue genes as well, to keep the silver and dun genes pure. I don't want to have to guess whether my bird is blue or dun. I'm also removing wheaten birds and anything else that may dilute my reds and blacks. I only want a non-fading light buff/lemon and dun/choc, along with my millie fluer spots. That's why the only birds I'm using now are millie fluer d'uccles, silver fawn OEGB and lemon spangled Sussex (silver based).
Quote:Originally Posted by Lorilyn Farms

I didn't like the fading on some of my birds, either. I starting adding in what I think is the pumpkin patch of genes and it did eliminate the fading problem. Since the buff is such a different bunch of color combinations, some buffs will fade, others won't. Adding a bird with the brighter pumpkin coloration did seem to do the trick. Here are some examples of buff with whatever the pumpkin gene really is...these birds did not fade under the hottes

There is not a pumpkin gene. The pumpkin color is due to the interaction of several genes; columbian, dark brown, wheaten, gold. To these you can also add mahogany and autosomal red. Autosomal red is not a real gene but a term for red not caused by the gold gene. Mahogany and autosomal red will deepen the hue of the pumpkin color.

I had various buff or pumpkin variations segregate in work I was doing. Because of my limited resources I could not determine why the birds varied. I did notice that in some of my wheaten birds it seemed as though the under color did not stop and extended into the contour feathers.

Tim
That's why I called it a pumpkin patch of genes. I know there are several of them that makes that color. However, your explanation is the closest I've ever read for the "ingredients" of pumpkin. I'm not a fan of the wheaten gene, i don't like how it fades feather color, as you, back into the contour feathers. I'm after a solid red based bird with black/white spots, plus my dun and silver diluters.

Suze,

Latest research says the frizzle gene does not directly effect metabolism and indicates the health issues may be related to heat loss. The research also suggested the syndrome may be pleotropic. If the health issues are due to heat loss then the recessive gene should take care of the problem ( substantially reduce heat loss). Frizzled birds that live in warm climates should be less effected than those living in milder climates.

If the gene's effect is pleotropic, a study would have to be carried out to determine the answer to your question. Does the recessive modifier of frizzle negate the health issues?

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom