if you have genetic questions

I have a color question If the OP wouldn't mind . . . .

I have turkeys, auburns and bourbon red.

Among the group of 12 auburn toms ( all I have of this variety) some have even shading over the back and saddle area, but some have either a few "faded" feathers or a lot. Can someone explain the faded random feathers . . . or sugggest how to deal with it??

In my BR hens I noticed that the females over a year old have developed faded feathers also over the back and saddle area. I looked at several hens and they have this fading; I was't able to check all the hens; and the pattern is diferent than the auburns; and the males do not show the fading.
Would like to acess the situation before I start culling most of the hens.

I need some info on genetics. I know that certain genetic traits are linked to each other and would like to know what other traits are linked to the frizzle gene, the gene connected with the aracuana tufts and the top crest (feathers) (cream legbars hairdo).

I have a legbar roo over a frizzle and a tufted aracuana. I would love to get a tufted mix with blue eggs and a legbar hair do and a frizzle with blue eggs. Are these genes compatible? Is it just a genetic coin toss?

Quote:
The frizzle gene is not a lethal gene. Some frizzle birds do have a syndrome associated with the homozygous condition. I do agree that tufted can be an embryonic lethal.

There is a recessive gene that modifies the homozygous and heterozygous frizzle phenotype.

Tim

I have a color question If the OP wouldn't mind . . . .

I have turkeys, auburns and bourbon red.

Among the group of 12 auburn toms ( all I have of this variety) some have even shading over the back and saddle area, but some have either a few "faded" feathers or a lot. Can someone explain the faded random feathers . . . or sugggest how to deal with it??

In my BR hens I noticed that the females over a year old have developed faded feathers also over the back and saddle area. I looked at several hens and they have this fading; I was't able to check all the hens; and the pattern is diferent than the auburns; and the males do not show the fading.
Would like to acess the situation before I start culling most of the hens.
I didn't like the fading on some of my birds, either. I starting adding in what I think is the pumpkin patch of genes and it did eliminate the fading problem. Since the buff is such a different bunch of color combinations, some buffs will fade, others won't. Adding a bird with the brighter pumpkin coloration did seem to do the trick. Here are some examples of buff with whatever the pumpkin gene really is...these birds did not fade under the hottest sun...

here was what I was previously dealing with...

Quote: Except his fading is on hen turkeys, not hen chickens
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom