If you haven't tried worms....you've GOT to try them!!

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
No silly, on your chicks!!!
lau.gif

I have never laughed at these guys as much as after I put half a dozen little earth worms in the corral! The chicks took a while to figure out what they were and then one of the worms moved and the party was on!!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

3cancan6gk.gif
3cancan6gk.gif

One of my Golden Comet grabbed a worm and ran all over the corral with the worm hanging out of it's mouth and it was squawking like crazy! The other chicks chased it around all over the place. I'm not sure who got the worm, but it was hilarious watching them!

Then after they had discovered the wonderfulness of worms, I held one up and one of my EE chicks jumped up and grabbed it out of my fingers, with a few of the other chicks looking on. Andy got a pic of the action (and a good bit of my old gray hair!)
lau.gif

XPBChickTakinWorm_19April08b.jpg

If you haven't dug some worms for your chicks, you don't know what you're missing!!

Edit: P.S. the chicks are 3 and 4 weeks old

Last edited:
I dug a bunch for them a week ago and it was better than t.v., they fought each other and I definitely found out where the heirarchy lies. They were thrilled to get something besides chick starter.

I've been dying to try worms after watching how much fun my chicks had with their boiled egg. But alas, I dug several holes in the yard and no worms.
sad.png

I'm gonna break down and buy some at walmart, then dump em in the yard when I get home and tell my SO I found them in the yard.
wink.png

Cute pic. Thanks for sharing!

I have a very odd issue with my chickies and worms. My top chick (chick 1), well, she can't seem to see them. She lets the middle chick (chick 2) get all the treats, the littlest (chick 3)will join the middle one (chick 2) in treat-chasing, but when the top chick (chick 1) goes to check it out, they are either all gone, or she just steps on them. I've checked her vision, and she seems to see ok, but when I put the bucket of mealworms near her, she pecks like it's hit or miss, not like she's seeing them. Any suggestions? Or is she just not interested. Thanks!

This is chick 2 and 3 getting the worm, chick 1 is no where to be seen.

GEDC1751.jpg

Earthworms are awesome! Our brooder is in the living room and we've taken to calling it "chicken TV" ... my favourite program is "earthworm rugby!"

ive been sneeking worms in but ilet my 2 week olds out for the first time yeterdsay and they were findin worms left and right it was so cute!!
big_smile.png

yippiechickie.gif

I love worms!! For my chicks, of course!! What5 I find so funny, is I can have 6 or 7 worms, and they are only interested in the worm that one of the other chicks have.. they will ignore the other worms and chase for the worm that one of the sisters has, then once it's gone, they get another, and the game is on again! I got cricketts yesterday.. going to do those tomorrow!!

Back
Top Bottom