If you kept only one breed...

French Black Marans. Their eggs are magnificent. Huge and dark brown. They are fun to watch with their feathered long legs and feet. I find them friendly to us and non aggressive to the rest of the flock. I also like the EE girls. Sweet with blue or green eggs.

I have not owned many different breeds. My new batch of Isa Browns are my favorite so far. All four are very friendly, never fight with each other, follow me all around the coop, jump in my lap and lay ALOT of eggs! I’m very happy I got them a few months ago from Tractor Supply when the Covid shutdown started. We kept them in the house until we moved our current coop closer to the house. We handled them a lot so maybe that’s why they are so comfortable around us. Love them.

EE's would be nice because they'd have that chance at a brown egg. However my buff brahmas and barred rocks are the sweetest and most reliable layers in my bunch. I've got a big soft spot for them. Brahmas are fun and huge so I may go with them, even though their eggs are most often medium.
Great Question! My favorites are my Rhode Island Reds:) they are sweet girls and they are good layers. Also, they seem to tolerate our horrible summers here in Arizona.

As far as most useful to me, I would have to say Leghorns. I have only had Whites, but I know there are Browns as well. They have awesome egg production, they are heat and cold tolerant, and they can be friendly if they choose to be. They are also a heritage breed, which I like. They are almost never broody, but I have a bantam Cochin that has that covered. They are good flyers and very loud. They are pretty birds. They are probably not great for meat production, though, they are pretty skinny.

Obviously I love all my birds. There are great things about all of them, and great things about each breed. I have raised six Rhode Island Reds, five (six?) ISA Browns, two Americanas, four White Leghorns, two Black Australorps, three Barred Rocks, and three Bantam Cochins. And a couple ducks. So I consider myself to not have much experience as far as breeds.

I'd have to go with either Australorps or White Rocks. Both are good layers but the rocks are better for meat with the same personality. The WR roo's seem more mellow tho.

My Polish Crested, great personality, sweet and fun to look at
😂
Although my all time favorite hen was a Barred Rock... I’m also partial to my Butf Orpingtoms. Ugh hard (but good)
Question!

This is an old thread but...
Definitely Cochin Bantams hands down. Sweet sweet birds, I love their fluffy butts, the way they walk, everything about them. But their eggs are a tiny bit small. I wouldn’t count Easter Eggers as a breed, as they are mixes of many many breeds on their own, but that’s just my opinion. I wouldn’t get any more of those.
I prefer pure bred chickens. Now if you asked what COLOR, I would have to say either Blue Mottled, Birchen, Porcelain, or Millie Fluer.View attachment 2276297my MF girlView attachment 2276299my MF boy. These aren’t the best example of the breed, but they’re mine and I love them.
Lovely birds! :love
I have them too and adore them.
This is my rooster, Tucker
8BCA11B9-3143-4CC7-A381-00574C8558C1.jpeg

I completely agree with you on the little fluffy bootys and the way they walk!:lol:

Chickens are a gateway drug. You start with chickens next you know you have geese, ducks and quail. You’re not happy if your egg basket doesn’t look like a rainbow and you’re downloading chicken breed charts to see if you can get a splash chick. Once you’re hooked one breed is never enough. That said Barred Rocks or EE but only if there was a gum to my head.

Back
Top Bottom