If you know chickens (which I don't) this should be easy...

Quote:
Question...since "he" is already about 5 weeks old, do you think there is still a possibility that it could be a hen? Just asking so I can find a home for him if my others turn out to be roos.
fl.gif

Sorry He is a male he is 5 weeks and already has red in his comb and wattles so he is a male for sure but when it comes to barred rocks the thing to know is if they are
Black with white stripes =female
White with black stripes=male
you will be able to see the diff trust me on that that is how I knew I had 2 roo's for sure the hens are all so much darker then the roo's.

Do you care to explain this a little better?

I never herd this one before...

Chris

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. Which leads to my next breeding question. So then white legs are dominant over yellow legs, correct?

Other than the 2 examples below White to any other color legs the offspring should have White legs...
If you breed a Rooster with Green legs to a hen with White legs then pullets should have Yellow and cockerels should have White.
If you breed a Rooster with Blue legs to a hen with White legs then pullets should have Blue legs and cockerels should have White.
All so this only work if the parents leg color is pure....

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry He is a male he is 5 weeks and already has red in his comb and wattles so he is a male for sure but when it comes to barred rocks the thing to know is if they are
Black with white stripes =female
White with black stripes=male
you will be able to see the diff trust me on that that is how I knew I had 2 roo's for sure the hens are all so much darker then the roo's.

Do you care to explain this a little better?

I never herd this one before...

Chris

me to, i have 3 BR hens, and I've never noticed, I thought the females just had very dark black stripes, and the males had lighter, almost gray stripes... well i'm no expert, and this is my first year with BRs, so it is very possible that i was mistaken.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom