If you know chickens (which I don't) this should be easy...

The red comb and wattles are a give-away at his age.

And, uh, the black sex-links are usually from a barred female and red male - the sex-linked pullets usually are black and the males are all barred. Is it possible you got sex-links only you got the barred males? Hope I'm wrong......................
hide.gif

Quote:
Question...since "he" is already about 5 weeks old, do you think there is still a possibility that it could be a hen? Just asking so I can find a home for him if my others turn out to be roos.
fl.gif

That isn't a Barred Rock.. Barred Rocks have Yellow legs not White
Might be a Cuckoo Maran but all so could be a Black Sex-link Rooster...

Chris

Last edited:
Just a thought... She bought it as an "Australorp". If a 'Lorp roo mated a BR hen wouldn't that make a type of BSL? The males would resemble the mothers with the barring. I'm just not sure about the legs though I think the soles on a 'Lorp are to be white. If it came from a mixed hatch, it might be hard to tell the chicks apart.

Quote:
Thanks for backing me up.
smile.png
I felt weird pointing it out after a whole page of it's a BR. I didn't even think of male sex link.

Your Welcome,
Don't feel weird pointing out a fact.. All you did is play the leg color card.
wink.png

I'm not calling a Maran because there is a slim chance it could be a Sex-link...

Before some one asks, how did it get the white leg if it is a Sex-link.
A Black Orpington male / Barred Rock female all chicks should have White legs
A Rhode Island Red male / Cukoo Maran female all chicks should have White legs

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Question...since "he" is already about 5 weeks old, do you think there is still a possibility that it could be a hen? Just asking so I can find a home for him if my others turn out to be roos.
fl.gif

Sorry He is a male he is 5 weeks and already has red in his comb and wattles so he is a male for sure but when it comes to barred rocks the thing to know is if they are
Black with white stripes =female
White with black stripes=male
you will be able to see the diff trust me on that that is how I knew I had 2 roo's for sure the hens are all so much darker then the roo's.

Back
Top Bottom