If you ride horses I have a ? for you

No no pain at all when I wear my running shoes BUT I get shoes specifically FOR running that have a lot of arch support and replace them frequently.

Not to bore you but everyone walks differently with the amount thier ankles turn and how high their arches are.So I have running shoes that are made for the way I run and I know I NEED arch support on my running shoes.They are so comfy I can wear them all day.

No have not tried insoles.But have noticed that ALL the boots I ride in while having a heel do NOT have any support at all.The inside of the sole is FLAT. I bet that is the problem.So perhaps you are right insoles would make a difference.

Chicks, Yea I told DD I was ready to ride without stirrups!!

I get a free yearly phisical.I guess I would have to complain to my reg doc and be sent to a podiatrist.You don't think a reg doc could take xrays and see a problem.

For about 15 years I worked in wasehouses and retail so therefore spent a lot of time on concrete floors.The I HAD to wear supportive shoes.But this is aggrevated WIT the stirrup bar.

I have "a never wrong friend) who is 30 years older and she DID no what I was talking about and she said she switched to riding western in all bt the show ring and the western stirrups give her no pain but the english ones DID.

You need to see a podiatrist for a diagnosis. Once they diagnose the problem, they will start with non-invasive, easy solutions (OTC inserts, specific exercises, perhaps special shoes to wear at home) and if those don't work, they will gradually work their way to more intensive solutions (custom orthotic inserts, cortisone shots, surgery, etc).

Quote:
yupp western is much more comfortable, especially if you get a treeless western saddle, theyre amazing i especially like them because it feels like you dont even have a saddle under you and you can feel your horses every movement, kinda like bareback i dunno maybe im just weird lol

Last edited:
big_smile.png
Go for it! You will be AMAZED at how much better of a rider you are without stirrups. I don't even let my kids ride with stirrups anymore. I take all stirrups off saddles we get and hang them on the wall for decor
smile.png
I tell folks - "stirrups aren't for riding the horse, they are for mounting when you can't climb up on your own"
lol.png
I try to encourgage everyone to take their stirrups OFF.

I still think you need to have your foot seen about just to be sure.

Sounds like either the stirrup is too far back on your foot or you are not putting your weight down into your heel.

I also agree that you might want to look into getting a better pair of boots.

I ride multiple horses everyday (English and Western) and have never had an issue like this, if anything sometimes my achillies tendon gets stiff and my calfs get a bit sore, but I have never had foot pain. I also use to be a serious runner (competed in cross country, indoor/outdoor track while in school) and also have never experienced that sort of pain (I did tear my hamstring though
hmm.png
).

If you are set on English riding, maybe take a look into getting the stirrup irons that bend/tilt when you put weight in them (I know the Sprenger brand is very good, but expensive, there's knock of kinds too), but I have always found them to be a bit more comfortable and also help relieve some of the tension in your foot/leg cause by forcing your heel down; the stirrup give in to your foot position.

I'm not a doctor, but sounds like the thing that could have developed is a bone spur or possible stress fracture... I also vote to going to see a podiatrist.

It's great that you've gotten back in the saddle - I wish my parents would have ridden with me when I was young. Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:
Ditto on the heel spur. I have them on both feet--exactly where you describe it. Different shoes fit your foot differentlly, running shoes give more support than riding boots, sandals etc. If your spurs are not that bad yet, that would explain why it does't hurt with runners on. Custom Orthotics will alleviate the pain, even when worn in riding boots, bu you will have them for life.

I also recommend going to a podiatrist.

Many paddock and show boots run quite narrow. If I have a shoe that is even a tiny bit too narrow, I get a similar pain, especially in my right foot ( my larger foot). Try finding a paddock boot that is wider.

The discomfort is always in the ball of my foot as these bones are prone to "pinching" when forced together even a little bit.

I get a pain in my right foot, along the outside between the heel and the ball. I think it is a similar pain to the one you are describing. Strangely I get it on some horses and not others, some days and not others. Riding English is a lot more comfortable for me. I put it down to being short-legged and the western saddle being more bulky; it seems that the fenders stick out sideways and don't have enough length to level out my stirrups, so they are not parallel to the ground. It's almost like when little kids ride and their legs stick out sideways. Riding English seems to give me a little more leg length!

Back
Top Bottom