If you ride horses I have a ? for you

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
So I have ridden for 28 years. I also took up running 2 years ago.I recently (within the last year) got a new horse so DD and I can go back to riding together after a year riding hiatus.

So recently I was having pain in my right foot , right at the ball the thick fleshy padded part.

My arches do not hurt.I finally this weekend realized it was from my stirrup bar.The longer I ride the worse it hurts and will continue to hurt even when I get off.Making me walk gimpy trying to not put weight on that part of my foot as each step HURTS.

Running does not hurt AND if my foot hurts and I put on my running shoes the pain is gone.I guess because the running shoes give support and cushion and change the way the foot strikes the ground.

So has ANYONE else experinced this? and flat tall show boots are VERY painfull. I am thinking about looking into heels down irons (but the issue is the ball of the foot NOT the ankle bone) or perhaps heels down riding sneakers.

I guess I need a show that really cushions that part of my foot.
Anybody have any help?

Try to place the stirrup in the crook of the heel and allways ride heel down, Do you ride western or english ??? english riders experience this more often. Do you wear spurs?? and if so do they fit well??. I never wear anything but boots when I ride it's safer. You could also have a spur or bone chip this too is common.

AL

Maybe try another type of boot.
Id go into a well known supply store (IDK where you are located but something like Horsetown) and tell them whats going on.

I ride english and do not wear spurs.I have the same pain regardless if I am wearing ariat paddock boots or millers warm toes.But it was the WORST the day I showed my mare. After my classes I could not get the boots off fast enough and had to change to my running shoes for relief.

The fact that is ONLY one foot does that make a bone chip or spur more likeley?

Quote:
It might very well be a spur. My dad mows grass with a walk behind as a 2nd job and I know they can bring him almost to his knees.
When you wear your running shoes do you not feel ANY pain at all?

I think you should see a doctor...I doubt it is from the boots, stirrups, or riding....sounds like you have some issue in your feet.

Try riding without stirrups. I ride bareback most of the time. When I do have a saddle on, I take OFF the stirrups. Not only will that help your feet you will obtain a much better balance with riding and you will become a much better rider......just be careful when learning....or you might end up with a back injury
smile.png

I love to ride barefoot too.

Have you tried adding some insoles? May give you more cushion. Bone spurs are very painful. But, English stirrups in my opinion would cause more pressure on your foot than a western stirrup. I had a bareback saddle and the stirrups were pretty rough on my foot.

I had a similar problem. It turned out that a piece of glass that I didn't realize went into my foot at the beach. Worked it's way out the top side of my foot 3 months later. You might have a bone spur which will do the same thing. You should see a Doc.

hmm i dunno i used to ride english but had to stop because i have a torn ligament in the back of my knee but no foot problems, i only ride western now in my opinion its alot more comfortable lol
smile.png

Try to find a sports podiatrist. Dancers will know where to find one if you can't... call a ballet school for recommendations.

Other thoughts:

Insoles for your boots? Maybe it's a support issue?

Riding without stirrups? Doesn't help much for the show ring, but might for training... and the 3 min you spend in the ring might not be quite enough to aggravate it... and just think how strong your legs will be!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom