If you sell eggs....

If your coop and nest is clean, your eggs will be clean and never need washing. The only reason eggs get poop on them is if the chickens bring it in on their feet (from a dirty coop) or poop while laying (rare). I've collected, eaten or sold about 400 eggs in the past couple months. They come from the nest spotless and shiny, protected with a lovely bloom, ready for the carton or to sit in a wire basket on my counter. (Unwashed chicken eggs stay good a month unrefrigerated. Washed eggs must be refrigerated immediately.) Sometimes as I carry my treasured harvest from the chicken house, the eggs are so pretty I might even give one a kiss! I've never washed any eggs yet, either before I cook them or before I sell them.
The way to achieve this is easy:
1. Never let chickens spend the night in the nest box
2. Keep fresh straw, grass hay, or other bedding in the nest.
3. Immediately remove it if a chicken does happen to poop in the nest (this is rare).
4. Have at least 3-4 nest boxes per chicken and train them to use them all, not crowd into one. Whether you have 3 chickens or 300, the traffic per box and ease of keeping them clean will be the same.

If your coop and nest is clean, your eggs will be clean and never need washing. The only reason eggs get poop on them is if the chickens bring it in on their feet (from a dirty coop) or poop while laying (rare). I've collected, eaten or sold about 400 eggs in the past couple months. They come from the nest spotless and shiny, protected with a lovely bloom, ready for the carton or to sit in a wire basket on my counter. (Unwashed chicken eggs stay good a month unrefrigerated. Washed eggs must be refrigerated immediately.) Sometimes as I carry my treasured harvest from the chicken house, the eggs are so pretty I might even give one a kiss! I've never washed any eggs yet, either before I cook them or before I sell them.
The way to achieve this is easy:
1. Never let chickens spend the night in the nest box
2. Keep fresh straw, grass hay, or other bedding in the nest.
3. Immediately remove it if a chicken does happen to poop in the nest (this is rare).
4. Have at least 3-4 nest boxes per chicken and train them to use them all, not crowd into one. Whether you have 3 chickens or 300, the traffic per box and ease of keeping them clean will be the same.
Mine ALWAYS seem to just have white urate lines on them. They are such good girls, no sleeping in there, keep the box clean, but always those white lines :-/

I collect my eggs daily and refrigerate them. If I am selling eggs I first candle the eggs with a flashlight to check for cracks on the shell. The next thing I do is if there is a little poop on the eggs I will try to wipe it off with a dry cloth rag. If the poop is still not coming off I will slightly dampen the cloth rag with water and continue to wipe the poop off the egg.

Back
Top Bottom