Ill but why? Might not make it through the night.

Christine44

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
When I was tucking my chickens in for the night I found one knocking at deaths door. I scooped her up and inserted a gloved finger feeling for an egg. No egg but something definitely happened. She had a release, a big release of fecal matter. It shot all over my daugter who was holding the light. Probably 1/4 of a cup of what looked like clear mucus and cat vomit. I put her in a warm bath and rushed her to the vet. I was told there was no one there at that time who could vet a chicken so I phoned a place an hour away who I knew would have someone and they didn't know what else to do for her and suggested I make her comfortable and see if she is alive in the morning. She has some clear stringy stuff oozing from her mouth. Like mucus I guess. Slimy and clear. Any guesses or things you can suggest I give her? I believe it is pretty time sensitive.

I wish I knew how to help you because I can tell you are very concerned. I did a search for "mucus in beak" and came up with this link for you https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

It appears to be a very helpful article and might apply to your situation. If this isn't helpful, there were many more posts about mucus in beaks. You will just have to read through the all and try what people suggest.

She didn't make it through the night. I am trying to take comfort in knowing on her last night she had a warm bath, spent almost 2 hours in my and my daughters arms and was hopefully comfortable.

I'm sure she was you seem to be as so many of us are loving our pets she knee you cared you did all the right things in sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom