Ill chicken, totally lost as to what to do

AmandaMae

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 16, 2014
Michigan
Hello..

I brought my buff orphington to the vet two weeks ago tomorrow. She wad diagnosed with water belly with digestion issues (sour crop)
The biopsy of the water belly came back with bacteria in it but no egg yolk reside. She gave us antibiotics.

Within a couple days her labored breathing subsided and her crop returned to normal. Her appetite never returned. Shell eat a few select things, free range and eat grass and bugs but wont touch her normal feed. I even bought a new kind. She has lost weight but acta as if shes about 80% better than she was. Im so torn with what to do. We have a follow up appointment but not for another week. Im worried shell starve to death.. Also worried about a possible underlying cause. Any opinions/thiughts appreciated!!

Edited to add: Shes 5 years old. Aldo about a week ago a small mass appeared in her crop that was completely flat and fine just prior. Initially i thought maybe she ate a toad or something but its still there. Doesnt feel like impacted crop?? Honestly feels like an egg in there. Moves around. This appeared a week ago.

Last edited:
It's normal for a chicken with a bacterial infection who is on an antibiotic not to have much of an appetite. I'm dealing with such a patient at the moment.

Besides not feeling like eating, a sick chicken can forget how to eat. Starvation mode does that to living things. They sort of adjust downward their craving for food.

You can overcome this by offering small amounts of tempting foods over frequent intervals during the day. To get the ball rolling, give her something sweetened with sugar or honey. This will elevate her glucose and kickstart her metabolism. This can begin to trigger hunger.

Foods to tempt a sick chicken to eat are soft boiled egg with runny yolk, crumbled tofu sprinkled with honey or sugar, Vienna sausage, meal worms, dry feed mixed with keifer or yogurt, fruit cocktail, etc.

Remember, small portions frequently offered, and Poultry Nutri-drench can also be a huge aid in boosting a chicken's strength.

It's normal for a chicken with a bacterial infection who is on an antibiotic not to have much of an appetite. I'm dealing with such a patient at the moment.

Besides not feeling like eating, a sick chicken can forget how to eat. Starvation mode does that to living things. They sort of adjust downward their craving for food.

You can overcome this by offering small amounts of tempting foods over frequent intervals during the day. To get the ball rolling, give her something sweetened with sugar or honey. This will elevate her glucose and kickstart her metabolism. This can begin to trigger hunger.

Foods to tempt a sick chicken to eat are soft boiled egg with runny yolk, crumbled tofu sprinkled with honey or sugar, Vienna sausage, meal worms, dry feed mixed with keifer or yogurt, fruit cocktail, etc.

Remember, small portions frequently offered, and Poultry Nutri-drench can also be a huge aid in boosting a chicken's strength.
I will give nutri drench a try and keep up with whatever she'll eat for now. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom