Ill chicken with strange spots on face

Reawsphant01

Songster
May 14, 2020
Amersham, London, United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have been on holiday for two weeks and my brother was taking care of them. My brother doesnt have as much chicken knowledge as I do but he told me that two out of three of my chickens had died although they had food and water. I returned back from my holidag and had a look at the last chicken, this is what I saw (photo attached) it is a silkie and it is 1 year old roughly. It is still laying every other day. Is the stuff on her face related to the death of the previous two chickens? How can I help this chicken get better? Please advice me on what I should do. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20211108-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20211108-WA0002.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20211108-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211108-WA0003.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20211108-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20211108-WA0004.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm not an expert, but the sores on your chicken's face look like similar to what my chickens look like when they get dry chicken pox, which most chickens can recover from just fine. If that's the case, I wouldn't suspect that it is the reason your other chickens died. There is a different disease called wet fowl pox which is much more deadly. Read more about wet vs. dry fowl pox here: https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/08/19/diagnostic-guidance-fowl-pox/ WARNING that some of the photos are somewhat graphic in nature. I hope your girl recovers!

I'm not an expert, but the sores on your chicken's face look like similar to what my chickens look like when they get dry chicken pox, which most chickens can recover from just fine. If that's the case, I wouldn't suspect that it is the reason your other chickens died. There is a different disease called wet fowl pox which is much more deadly. Read more about wet vs. dry fowl pox here: https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/08/19/diagnostic-guidance-fowl-pox/ WARNING that some of the photos are somewhat graphic in nature. I hope your girl recovers!
Well I guess thats reassuring... is dry fowl pox contagious? Because Ive got the main flock at the front and I was wondering of putting her with them

Well I guess thats reassuring... is dry fowl pox contagious? Because Ive got the main flock at the front and I was wondering of putting her with them
Yes it is contagious. It would be safest to keep her separate given the deaths of the other chickens but I understand that is a tough call since she is now all by herself.

Pox is contagious through mosquitos and other ways, it kills younger babies easily but the older birds tend to recover. I don't isolate and the problem resolves itself.

Do you have any mites or worms in your flock? Those could also be scratch marks. It does look like pox, but could also be spots where mites have dug in and he is scratching at them. Just examine it closely for other causes.

Pox are worse when parasites are present because the immune system is compromised. So make sure you don't have worms also.

Looks like Dry Fowl Pox to me. Separate to prevent spread and give vitamins to keep the immune system up. There’s a chance that it can turn into Wet Fowl Pox.

Back
Top Bottom