I'll leave home tomorrow and i need an info

Happy to hear that all is well. For anyone for future use, you can prevent water freezing in the borderline temps described (1-2 degrees below freezing), by adding a DIY "antifreeze" to the water: you could use salt and/or sugar. You could more easily put some "sav-a-chick" in the water, you might not need the concentration recommended on the packet, depending on your temps. You're basically putting an impurity into the water to lower its freezing point.

Happy to hear that all is well. For anyone for future use, you can prevent water freezing in the borderline temps described (1-2 degrees below freezing), by adding a DIY "antifreeze" to the water: you could use salt and/or sugar. You could more easily put some "sav-a-chick" in the water, you might not need the concentration recommended on the packet, depending on your temps. You're basically putting an impurity into the water to lower its freezing point.
But dirty water still freezes :D
It's the salt.
Salt water freezes at a lower temp...but not good for chickens to drink.

Beautiful picture! Very glad to hear the chickens were fine when you came home. They are probably very happy to have you home and some companionship.

Thank you:hugs

Beautiful! I’m glad they are OK.

My neighbor gave me a great idea this weekend... something for you to keep in mind in the future if you ever do get freezing temperatures and need to leave your flock for a few days. There are portable solar panels and power sources (battery storage for the solar) that could be used to power a little pet heating pad. They only use something like 23 watts on the low setting. :)

Wow! Really interesting advice! Ill provide to have one of this! Do you know where i could buy it?

But dirty water still freezes :D
It's the salt.
Salt water freezes at a lower temp...but not good for chickens to drink.

No salt:) i read someone puts tennis balls in the water to avoid Freezing.. I dont know if it is a good way... What do you think?

P. S id like to move this 3d in the section of managing the coop cause Im seeing lot of threads of True emergencies.. Mine isnt urgent any more and i dont want to take their space:( how can i do?

i read someone puts tennis balls in the water to avoid Freezing.. I dont know if it is a good way... What do you think?
Ehh, if the wind will move the floating balls around it can help,
but once it get really cold it will do nothing.

id like to move this 3d in the section of managing
I asked the mods to move it.

Edited to add: This was meant to be a reply to the question about chargers and heating pads...

They can be pretty expensive, but there are also power banks you can charge up by plugging them into the wall. often use that charged up battery to run the heating pad. I got mine (Jackery brand) on Amazon.

You know, come to think of it, recently bought myself a rechargeable hand warmer. Some company could make a waterproof/submersible version for pet waterers, but I’m not aware of any on the market yet. It might be worth trying one in a waterproof ziplock bag or something. Maybe double bagged? Has anyone else tried this? I’m in California near the coast, so frozen water is not an issue here.

0 degree C is about is about 32 degrees F, at that rate, it would take more than 24 hours for any amount of water to freeze. I would not worry at those temperatures. More than likely, part of the day will be warm enough for the ice to be soft enough for the hens to break. If the waterer is in the coop, which is generally a little warmer, it would be less ice yet.

I really do not have a problem with ice until the weather is not getting above 20 degrees F during the day time. Which is about -7 degrees C.

Mrs K

Here i am again! Love you guys for having helped me two years ago. They had been two superbusy years in which we didn't travel a lot because of the pandemic, so we still haven't electricity in the coop or an electric water-warmer. The problem literally went out of my mind in the hurry of this period. My fault :hmm

So, now we will go on holiday from 10th to 14th december: temperature was warm until two days ago, so i didnt worried a about freezed water. In the last days there has been an unpredict lowing of temperatures. Today the minimum predicted temperature during the holidays is 0°, -2° celsius degrees during the night, maximum are about 9,10,12 degrees over zero. I must say that last year with similar/inferior temperatures water didn't freeze.

watering heated bowls were a good idea but i can't find one with battery. Does it exist?

I'm going to put the ordinary water metallic dispenser filled of water, with some plastic coverage to insulate it + a simple big plastic bowl. Do you think it is sufficient?

I'm so angry with myself for being another time unprepared!:rant:rant:rant

@Mrs. K @Eggcessive @micstrachan

Those daytime temperatures are enough above freezing to counter the at freezing to a little below freezing temperatures of the nighttime. You may get a little ice but it shouldn't freeze solid unless it is a large surface area to volume ratio in which case it will melt quickly the next day.

The risk is if the forecast is wrong. An extra waterer of a different size would add some peace of mind. Or more/less insulation (even a thick plastic bucket vs thin metal one) - you want the water in one to freeze slowly and the water in the other to melt quickly.

Or a black dish in the sunniest spot.

Those daytime temperatures are enough above freezing to counter the at freezing to a little below freezing temperatures of the nighttime. You may get a little ice but it shouldn't freeze solid unless it is a large surface area to volume ratio in which case it will melt quickly the next day.

The risk is if the forecast is wrong. An extra waterer of a different size would add some peace of mind. Or more/less insulation (even a thick plastic bucket vs thin metal one) - you want the water in one to freeze slowly and the water in the other to melt quickly.

Or a black dish in the sunniest spot.
Thank you a lot. Yes i have two different bowls for material and volumes. One is a thin metallic waterer with plastic dish, and the other is a big plastic bowl for dogs.
Sun would be a good idea but they will stay inside...thank you! 😍

Back
Top Bottom