Ill Rhode Island Red Hen

I have tried scrambled eggs but she could only sometimes eat the tiniest bits. I am now trying her (and the others) on yogurt but they just don't get it. How can I teach them to eat it?

Hopefully once you have got things moving in her crop a bit, she will be more interested in food. As I said, you are better making a liquid feed by "dissolving" layer pellets or crumble in water initially and maybe mix a little yoghurt into it. If she won't eat it, you can try syringing it into her mouth but this comes with risks. Tube feeding is the safest option, but there is little point tubing food into her crop when it seems to be blocked. Much as it is a good wholesome food, scrambled egg might just get clogged in the gunk that you are trying to break up in her crop. Chick crumb would probably be best as it is higher in protein, again mixed with water to a thin paste/gruel. Getting fluids and nutrients into her are important but there will already be some in her crop, so if you can get some of that massaged through her system, she might be more inclined to eat a bit more. I understand how worrying it is when they are skin and bone and won't eat, but if there is food in her crop then she has it in her body and finding a way to work that through her system before putting more food in is important. Filling her crop up with more food when it is blocked will not achieve anything....if that makes sense.

That is because she is weak from starving, but unless you get her crop unblocked and working, there is no point in putting anything other than liquid feed into her.
To be honest, I think she may have gone too far already. Can you take her to a vet as I am not sure you are understanding what I am trying to explain and she looks and sounds like she will not last much longer? I would also suggest you put her on a heat pad or give her some source of heat because she has no spare energy to keep herself warm and here in the UK it is a bit cooler than she needs to be.... maybe put her in a box in the airing cupboard if you have one.... she needs to be kept warm.

Oh, I'm so very sorry! :hugs
She did not look well at all and I very much doubt even a knowledgeable vet could have saved her.
Chickens do not have long lives, some shorter than others so you have to measure them by the quality not the quantity. She had a loving home with you and that is all any could hope for.

Back
Top Bottom