I'll Show You My SetUp If You Show Me Yours! Heavy Pictures!

Snow like that is common here too. I'll say to you what I say to all of my friends who live 'out West', I can shovel snow, I can't shovel a tornado. I'll take the snow, lol.
We get both here in Iowa snow and tornado. Latter I'd rather not see either. I like snow once a year at Christmas, sadly God doesn't answer my prayers. I have seen some beautiful pictures of the peacocks sitting on their perch in the late spring snows. I guess that beauty might be worth seeing a time or two. As I get older plowing out is quite a chore I admit.

We get both here in Iowa snow and tornado. Latter I'd rather not see either. I like snow once a year at Christmas, sadly God doesn't answer my prayers. I have seen some beautiful pictures of the peacocks sitting on their perch in the late spring snows. I guess that beauty might be worth seeing a time or two. As I get older plowing out is quite a chore I admit.
Oh yes it is! Plowing a chore. We have a lot to plow and shovel and it doesn't get easier at all. There is a beauty to it, as you said, but like you, I too have pretty much lost the wide eyed innocence of ' Oh look! Snow" More like "Oh look! Work!" Still rather shovel than have to face something I can do nothing about except pray it doesn't hit me.

Yoda - and everybody else- at what humidity do you incubate your eggs?
I don't remember what the hunidity is in my bator. I just know that me using 5 juice glasses is perfect humidity in my incubator. I use my setup to hatch peafowl, chicken, duck, guinea, pheasant and quail eggs. All seem to hatch without any problems. I will will have to check it and let you know what it is.

Still a long way to go, but getting a start. It's been beautiful here, think maybe record high today.
I used two of these Little Giant incubators set up similar to Yoda except I used sponges in mine. Didn't have as good as luck as Yoda.

This coming spring I will be experimenting with this incubator
I use a plastic tub with a screen and and heat bulb for the first few weeks then I move them to a rabbit cage with a light bulb not a real good picture but have put these away for the season.
Then they are moved into small shed in a pen, this is kind of ugly, but on back side baby can after 2 weeks of getting use to bigger can go through the bars yet escape back in if bigger pick on it. I have a board that covers the pen so bigger birds don't potty on little ones.
Then they can go out in the small pen on cement. This will be made larger with all the panels I have for hopefully more chicks next spring.

This is my breeding pens in front of old trailer that will house the birds this winter.

Well somehow the post before went on before I finished.
This is the second trailer where the Spaldings are. Tried them with smaller blues but they are mean. They also have the kitchen area where I am
standing.

This is my 4 breeding pens in front of old trailer we have almost completed for them for the winter.

This bedroom is 15' x 14' almost ready.

This bedroom is 12x 15 it has divider that could run small wall down the middle if birds fight in the winter but would rather they would get along. It also has the closets that I want to make into brooding pens and above closet has a runner that room could of been separated into 2 bedrooms. I can use closet in master bedroom also.

The living room is 16' x 14' I have some windows and doors to move out of it and build door in hall way and kitchen and get the old carpet out and help with some heavier items moving out. The garage flooring is a bit more than I wanted to spend but think it might be the best as it is the really only thing
I can find that is real waterproof. I think the peas should be warm through the winter in the trailers.

Next spring I have a cement pad very large from old barn or milking house. I want to build pens for under year chicks it has an old garage that will need some TLC. I also want to build another large pen on the west side of the trailer for the breeding peas. I am hoping to finish it before the snow flies and it will also have an access to get into the trailer for warmth.

Lil Zoo you can fit 5 juice glasses in the space next to the turner motor. It is ok if the glasses are tilted a little. Just keep them filled. Sponges dry out and when they do the humidity dries up as well. I fill the glasses evey other day using a 16 oz water bottle and the top is open just enough to get my hand in there and fill them. This gives fresh air inside the bator but doesn't let a lot of heat out.

No one else wants to share any setups with us? Take pictures and post them here, I would like to see how you raise your peas
wink.png

Wow I didn't see this topic before. I love all the pens you have Yoda and I like how big they are.

Well here is my simple setup. When breeding season comes I plug in two of these GQF incubators and put a few eggs in them. I keep them in the guest bedroom.That is my candeler sitting ontop of the incubator...It is hard to tell what it looks like but it is pretty simple...For candeling I just go into a dark bathroom to candel the eggs. I also sniff the eggs a lot just to make sure one isn't rotten. I have to hand turn my eggs and I found that turning 5 times or more a day works really well until the final days when of course you don't want to turn the eggs. In this photo the painting is my good luck painting for hatching and of the two eggs, the one on the right is the egg Peep came from. I found that I don't really like incubating the eggs myself. I like to let the peahens do it, but that is just my preference. In the future I might hatch out 1 or two peachicks a year on my own just so that I can have some tamer ones.

I have to go to bed now, but I will have to remember to show more pictures later.

OMG that is Peep starting on the right, how cute baby pictures!
lau.gif
kidding aside, I never thought of a good luck object before - if it works then go for it, nice painting
wink.png
Can't wait to see the rest of your setup.

Last edited:
Yoda and Minxfox you are making me want winter over with. I don't get out much when it is real cold. Yesterday was unbelievably warm so I went pea visiting. I could not believe the tail feathers were so long. They are getting beautiful again, yes. All most lost 2 hens in the blizzard we had before Christmas. Go figure why they didn't go in the trailer with the others. Guess kids will have to lock them in the next time we know a storm is coming. We have been remodeling our house this winter so I haven't been on here much. Getting old and it's been a real slow project. I haven't got the incubator moved in my computer room yet. Guess I have a few more months yet to get it set up. I'm going to try a trial run of chicken eggs.

Yoda I feel so dumb never thought of setting the glasses in there tilted. You are right the sponges dried out fast. I'm so anxious for spring I should of stayed off of here.

Back
Top Bottom