illeagal poultry selling?

Quote:
Yes to an auction or swap, they CAN if they find you.

If private sales, I honestly don't think so. I've had people buy birds from anywhere and everywhere with no issues once forever. It all boils down who you know and how the birds were treated and their enivornment settings. Reputable breeders or private owners are the best ones, better than auctions or swaps in most cases.

Actually, even in private sales, you are required to have NPIP papers to transport them across state lines. Each state also has different things that you have to have in order to bring the bird(s) in. While most likely no one will stop you or catch you, if it were to happen and you didn't have proof, they can seize your birds.

So your saying I have to go spend money to get a paper everytime I need to.sell a bird? I live on the state line and do everything In ky. But live in tn. So livestock auctions I have to get papers? I was at one the other week and half was nasty malnurished chickens...

Like WHO would pull you over? Cops don't care, neither would the USPS.....NPIP is false security documentation that your bird is healthy. No one seems to test for MS, LLV and MG, that is more of a killer than anything else. Pullorum and tyhoid are important but I think majority of us have birds that did come from breeders who are NPIP and Hatcheries. It is voluntary choice for me.

NO thanks and I've shipped eggs/chicks/birds in NY and mostly IL, and other states without NPIP because our good friend, who is a postal inspector (top dog) said the USPS don't care about the NPIP nor have the resources to check EVERY bird coming in. However WA state, they do need the paperwork because of the outbreak of a different disease, they require ALL tested. Same for VA.

If you follow the laws of the road, no one is going to stop you.

If you are going to show or going to sell birds at a show, yes it is required. Only for 30 days, which I think it is a joke for a one time test but rules are rules when it comes to shows and auctions.

Quote:
If you are NPIP certified or the person you are buying from is, the paper doesn't cost anything (at least it doesn't here in PA. We have 3 books full of carbon sheets for us to fill out and send with eggs or give to a buyer of live birds.

I HAVE to do this to keep my NPIP. I have to turn in a copy of every sale at the end of the year. This is how they keep track of where the birds and eggs went. Do they really? I don't know, but I'd like to keep my certification, so I'll do it. Plus, if they ever come here and do a surprise inspection, I have to have proof of where any birds I have came from.

Ewesheep I agree that they don't test for the major things that they should. There should be MG testing required to be NPIP certified. I'm sure a lot less people would be, if that were the case. I also agree that the USPS doesn't care about shipped birds or eggs or the paperwork that legally is supposed to accompany shipments. We provide every person that buys birds or eggs from us with the NPIP form, whether they ask for it or not.

And you are also right, if you follow the laws of the road, most likely you won't be stopped. However, you can't be totally certain about anything. And, if you would have read my comment totally, you would have seen that I said "While most likely no one will stop you or catch you..."

I bet the guy who got the 90,000.00 fine from the USDA for selling rabbits without a license probably thought nobody would ever bother to enforce that rule either.
wink.png

Here in Arkansas you have to be NPIP certified or have your birds tested to sell at a flea market, swap or auction. You can sell whatever you want from your home though.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom