Illegal Chickens??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!
I never thought I'd see the day where a citizen would be PUNISHED for keeping a chicken!
hmm.png

UncleSamsChickens.jpg

the punishment in my town is a fine and id have to get rid of the chickens but if that happened i have relatives in another state who have chickens and they would take them.its not that they are illegal in my town, technically my yard just isnt big enough they want an acre and i only have a 1/4 acre

It's not illegal for me to keep chickens, but I AM over the maximum limit for my space. I'm just hoping nobody can count very well..... I would never get chickens and start to raise 'em if they were totally illegal to have, though.

Quote:
I've got the same exact issue. We have just over 2 acres of land. The town Zoning Enforcement Officer interprets the Zoning regulations such that a homeowner must have 5 acres of land to keep chickens (he's wrong on the interpretation though, but he's the word unless we wanted to make an issue out of it).

Our neighbor complained to the Zoning Enf. Officer when our 5 month old sexed chicken began to crow, without the benefit of a phone call to us. We received a letter from the ZEO telling us we were in violation of the Regs and to comply or be fined. We then called the neighbor to see what her beef was. She really didn't have much of one. We asked her what would make her happy. The only thing she asked was that we not let the rooster out of the coop until 7:30am. Easy enough. We got her to sign a letter to the town indicating that she had NO PROBLEM with our chickens or rooster as long as he was kept in the coop until 7:30 am AND that she was withdrawing any "real or perceived complaint". HA! Miraculously, the violation got marked in the public records as having been "resolved". Funny how tha works.

If nobody complains, you're probably in good shape.

ya thanks for the advice.ive talked to my abutting nieighbors and they are cool.they think its a great idea,noise level should be ok because im only goin to keep hens not a rooster.also ive been reading that a lot of urban communities have chickens on a much much smaller peice of land.i just think an acre is a bit much its not like i wanna raise cattle or somethin.i feel i have plenty of room for 5-6 chickens

I certainly don't want to see you get into trouble, but if it was me, I would go ahead and get a few. If I ever ran into trouble with the law because of it, I would take the matter to the courts because why on earth would you need an acre of land just to keep a few chickens?

Good luck
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom