Illegal to Advertise Nest Run Eggs as "Fresh" or "Local"?

Pics
I would hazard a guess that the huge commercial egg producers have put some pressure on lawmakers to restrict backyard egg producers. Same old story everywhere....
And the worst thing is that the industry they are approving as superior raises thousands of chickens horribly crowded into warehouses. But they are "cage-free," and if they touch dirt for a few minutes, "free-range." Their eggs can be 30 days old at the supermarket, but I can't call mine "Fresh"?
When I sell eggs, I explain the system used to date eggs in stores and give them a copy of the Julian calendar. Have a couple old commercial egg cartons on hand to show them where to find the “date packed” and inform them that the “best used by” date is arbitrary and means nothing. Tell them to look for that 3 digit code that tells them exactly when the eggs were packed. No need to use the term fresh…Word travels fast when you give them the tools to compare with. I’ve had friends of friends come buy eggs after a bit of education.

When I sell eggs, I explain the system used to date eggs in stores and give them a copy of the Julian calendar. Have a couple old commercial egg cartons on hand to show them where to find the “date packed” and inform them that the “best used by” date is arbitrary and means nothing. Tell them to look for that 3 digit code that tells them exactly when the eggs were packed. No need to use the term fresh…Word travels fast when you give them the tools to compare with. I’ve had friends of friends come buy eggs after a bit of education.
Information, information, FACTUAL information--how we desperately need it in all things!

I think I missed where it says you have to put your name/address on the carton?
Honestly, anyone who gets eggs from me knows exactly where I am, but that just seems a bit invasive.

I think I missed where it says you have to put your name/address on the carton?
Honestly, anyone who gets eggs from me knows exactly where I am, but that just seems a bit invasive.

It's normal rules for doing business -- that a customer with a problem has definite information to track down the seller of whatever good or service he purchased.

Back
Top Bottom