Illegalization of Muscovy Ducks!

Quote:
No they just put in a bunch of ever increasing authoritarian regulations that actually do very little to stop the spread of the disease.
It's all about getting more and more control.
bow.gif

Actually in England they did off all the cows. But the cattlemen here would never let them get away with that. Question is will we be able to stop them from doing that to the Muscovies? If you read the statements on that link they have decided that it doesn't affect anybody's property rights nor have any real economic impact. I bet there are a few people who would disagree with that.
somad.gif

And when they get away with one thing like this they can take the next step, maybe Mallards will be next.
rant.gif

our democratic government is looking more and more like a dictorship. really? illegalizing organic farming and muscovy ducks?! i'm thinking these big guys in suits just have something against organic farming and muscovy ducks so they just figure, illegalize them! hey, they can do it, so why not? ugh. government annoys me.

Seema like every time I turn around- There's a new law, or regulation to tell me what to do and what not to do. Or even better some kind of tax put on something . If they want to tell me every move to make. Buy Me a house, pay my bills and send a government worker in to do all my work. Then they can buy me a tv with a cable subscription and I'll just sit and watch tv and stay on BYC( unless they outlaw that too) !!

Read thru 2/3 down or so. You will be allowed to have Muscovy BUT they will require a permit to own them, sell their eggs etc. You also will have to tag them by the time they are 6wks old & keep the tags on the foot or wing until processing. They will not be allow to be shot, as in hunting them but can be killed most any other way. In others words the gov. wants to REGULATE them.
smack.gif
It sounds as if you will not be allowed to free range them on your property either. They "just might wander off" and cause some untold damage to the local enviorement.
roll.png

I know many on here have Muscovy as pets and thats great. I think they are terrific birds and I don't plan on eating my breeders but I did buy them for the purpose of growing the ducklings out to eat. That said, having to tag all your ducklings by 6wks is rediculous when you generally will process the birds at 10-12wks anyway. Gov. Control... It never ends.
hmm.png

I can see there point really. all it is truley saying is that you will need to hold a permit (probably alot like my taxidermy permit) I think it was $100 for 5 years, the Migratory Waterfowl Sale or Disposal Permit. I always thought it was just needed if you wanted to sell the birds, eggs or it's carcus(like to a taxidermist). It is the same thing needed to own and sell say wood ducks, or pintail or canda geese, etc.

It's really not a big deal. And I understand why they are doing it if too many irresponsable pet owners are letting there pets go wild.

You may acquire captive-bred and properly marked migratory
waterfowl of all species other than mallard ducks (Anas platyrhynchos),
alive or dead, or their eggs, and possess and transport such birds or
eggs and any progeny or eggs for your use without a permit, subject to
the following conditions and restrictions. Additional restrictions on
the acquisition and transfer of muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata) are at
paragraph (g) of this section.

G You may not acquire or possess live muscovy ducks, their
carcasses or parts, or their eggs, except to raise them to be sold as
food. If you possess captive-bred muscovy ducks, you may not propagate
them or sell or transfer them to anyone for any purpose, except to be
used as food. You may not release them to the wild, including on
private property, sell them to be hunted or released to the wild, or
transfer them to anyone to be hunted or released to the wild.

It does seem a bit harsh at parts and I'm still reading it to try to understand it all completly

eggs are for food right? So as long as you eat the eggs??​

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Fancy 217 beat me to it -- I had also copied the relevant section to paste.

What the feds are concerned about is hunters releasing Muscovy ducks on hunting preserves and also public lands, where feral colonies are establishing themselves, and behaving as an invasive species.

(Remember that Muscovies are not a "breed" of domestic duck, but an entirely different species of waterfowl.)

It looks to me as if the rule needs some editing earlier on for clarity and to eliminate internal contradictions.

But it is not intended to ban Muscovies from the barnyard.

And it specifically states that you do NOT need a permit -- but the birds need to be banded.

READ THE WHOLE THING before reacting.

Public Participation

We seek comments on any aspect of this proposed rule. You may
submit your comments by either of the methods listed in the ADDRESSES
section. We will not accept comments sent by email or by fax, or to an
address not listed in the ADDRESSES section. We will not accept
anonymous comments; your comment must include your first and last
names, city, state, country, and postal (zip) code. Finally, we will
not consider hand-delivered comments that we do not receive, or mailed
comments that are not postmarked, by the date specified in the DATES
section.
We will post your entire comment--including your personal
identifying information--on http://www.regulations.gov. If you provide
personal identifying information in addition to the required items
specified in the previous paragraph, such as your street address, phone
number, or e-mail address, you may request at the top of your document
that we withhold this information from public view. However,

[[Page 49628]]

we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.
Comments and materials we receive, as well as supporting documents,
will be available for public inspection, by appointment, during normal
business hours, at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Division of
Migratory Bird Management, 4401 North Fairfax Drive, Mail Stop 4107,
Arlington, VA 22203-1610.
When submitting written comments, please include your name and
return address in your letter and identify it as comments on proposed
rule RIN 1018-AV34. To facilitate compiling the administrative record
for this action, you must submit written comments on 8\\1/2\\-inch by 11-
inch paper.

oh my what is wrong here??? we have to not only send our letters in but also MAKE SURE IT IS THE RIGHT SIZE!!! what is it that is really going on here?

So whats next tag our humane babies before they know how to walk incase they decide to leave:weee​

i really think a lot of these things arent nearly as bad as everything thinks..no one is going to ban people from having gardens, i am very sure of that.

Back
Top Bottom