illinois towns that allow backyard chickens

Im so happy for you guys in Springfield finally you can have their chikens but where about us in Bolingbrook I can wait

I jest see u message what can I do to change the laws in Bolingbrook so I can have my chikens let me know or who can I talk to thanks again

Westmont, IL is another gray area. There are codes that a poultry yard must be a min of 25 ft from the closest residence & public walkway. Also rules about sanitation & a town noise ordinance. Several people have a few hens & it's no big deal. When a friend accidently got 2 roos from her small batch of mail order pullets, all of a sudden she was targeted. After the "nuisance" 10 week old roos were removed, she got a citation stating that chickens were illegal. They used an old contradictory building code about secondary structures. "Accessory structures and uses are permitted and special uses may be allowed in the various districts. They shall be compatible with the principal use and shall not be established prior to the establishment of the principal use. Accessory uses shall not include the keeping, propagation or culture of pigeons, poultry, rabbits, bees, livestock, horses or other nonhousehold animals whether or not for profit."

When she pointed out the contradictions, the village admitted that the rules needed to be ironed out. They simply extended the time she had to remove her chickens & said she must keep them confined in the coop until then. The village did not say which ordinances would be changed, so of course now, I am worried about my chickens. My daughter's 4H project won Best in Show. She wants to continue this and is the "poultry expert" at her school. I also helped hatch chicks in four different Westmont classrooms. As a teacher, I use my "flock" for multiple educational experiences, & it's no secret that we have chickens. The neighbors love them & we even asked for their opinions before we decided to keep them. Does anyone know if exceptions are granted for education, 4H, &/or with neighborhood permission?

Off topic, but a neighbor has an outdoor rabbit hutch & another has bees. Perhaps pet bunnies are outlawed (FYI - still sold in pet shops here), but how can they stop bees? I personally like how well my garden produces.

Back
Top Bottom