illinois towns that allow backyard chickens

y'know... I'm not sure...

I do know we were the only town where a trustee who was against hens also lumped it with Bees, so anyone who is against bees would shock-fear to join in against this cause. However, I did take the bees and run with it, because there were no apiary advocates, and truth be told we do need the bees.

I myself am part of the urban homesteading movement, and opening it up to anyone interested in "veggie gardening, home brewing, self sufficiency, sewing, home improvement tips, canning/pickling, etc" can all join in on our cause. Opens it up to more people, I guess :)
As a marketing campaign, I've always been trying to show the village that the chickens were one piece of the puzzle in the big picture of sustainability as a practice that will build a community and future with conservation vs. I want pet chickens, why wont you let me have them.

My town voted to table it, but honestly... the fears are built on preconceived notions. Some (not only trustees, but people in general) will always find comfort in their own opinions that are based on how they grew up, and it's hard to accept change from what you've been taught. You know what.. that gives me a good idea.

We should all make sure to ask whomever is running for village trustee/mayor "Are you in favor of environmentally sustainable practices such as backyard hens? yes? Then you will certainly get my vote!" and it can be marketed as "_________ is for environmentally sustainable practices to benefit the future of our village!" or "___________ encourages Self-sufficiency!" "____________ for environmental sustainability!"

without saying exactly the BYC specifically.

or hey - all of us can run for offices ourselves, and be the change that we want to see in this world <3

Last edited:
wee.gif
Chicken owner Maria McLean won " ......On Thursday (2-18-2016), the Will county board eliminated the need for that permit for chickens, but restricted them to one chicken per 12,500 square feet, and only on lots that are at least 12,500 square feet.. The chickens have to be fenced in, and no roosters are allowed, according to the amended ordinance. Chicken coops also must be at least 50 feet away from adjacent homes...."
whole article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...proves-chickens-st-0219-2-20160219-story.html

Where I live in UT, no chickens allowed in our city. Unless your've zoned in an agriculture area. The city council just voted backyard chickens down, again, last month. And it's very sad how uneducated the council memebers were. Chickens spread disease, they are loud, they smell, on and on. Another thing they siad was animal control doesn't have time to "respond" to calls from neighbors about chicken complaints. Very sad. Lucky for me, I'm zoned where I can have them and am blessed where my neighbors don't mind. It's amazes me how uneducated these council members are and the responces they had to the families who wanted to raise chickens.

From what I can tell, the Downers Grove ordinance states you can have up to 4 mature birds, but the coop must be at least 50ft from all neighboring property lines. Since most average lots around here are 60 x 150 (give or take), it essentially prohibits them.

I live in Berwyn the suburb just south of Oak Park.

I didn't see anything specifically banning chickens in the animal ordinances online. My wife called to be sure, and got laughed at by a couple people. When I wrote the clerk and asked about keeping chickens, this was the response.

Mr. Adams,
The ordinances for the City of Berwyn do not allow any chickens/fowl to be kept on City premises. See below ordinance.

§ 616.08 OFFENSIVE KEEPING OF ANIMALS.
No person shall own, keep or use any railroad car, yard, pen, place or premises in or upon which fowl, cattle or other animals are confined or kept, so as to be offensive to those residing in the vicinity or an annoyance to others.

(Ord. 07-55, passed 10-23-2007)

This seems like a pretty vague ordinance that could apply to any "offensive animal keeping".

Is there anyone from Berwyn on here that keep chickens?

Thanks! Ian

I'm working on changing the ordinance in East Peoria. I've been working with the Planning Director for the city and have been to the Zoning Board of Appeals meeting with a proposal. They agreed to send to the city attorney to draft an ordinance revision. We'll go back at the Aug ZBA meeting for their approval of the ordinance and from there it goes to the City Council.

http://www.facebook.com/?q=#!/pages/East-Peoria-Backyard-Chickens/171505786243269

Back
Top Bottom