Jes78b

Chirping
Oct 26, 2018
I have to go to court in October regarding my chickens.
I'm new to this small town, which was sold to us as a homestead. The realtor assured me pets, chickens, and horses were all allowed.
My neighbors have goats, pigs, chickens, turkeys, peafowl, but for whatever reason I'm not allowed.
The citation says, roosters are waking neighbors; Chickens are in yard.
I don't know what to do or where to begin.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I have to go to court in October regarding my chickens.
I'm new to this small town, which was sold to us as a homestead. The realtor assured me pets, chickens, and horses were all allowed.
My neighbors have goats, pigs, chickens, turkeys, peafowl, but for whatever reason I'm not allowed.
The citation says, roosters are waking neighbors; Chickens are in yard.
I don't know what to do or where to begin.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Unfortunately, what ever the realtor said doesn't matter, unless it's backed up by code/ordinance/local law, something. What do those say?

They have a noise ordinance, but no specific limitations on farm animals or chickens.
I have neighbors with horses, pigs, goats, fowl, anything you can imagine.
Just a noise ordinance is all they've been able to give me in writing.

What are your county/town codes?
Are you zoned for Agriculture?
Are your birds running into your neighbors yards?
Does your citation say exactly what rule your birds are breaking?
Noise, and they are going into the neighbors yard

Fencing them in so the birds aren't leaving your property and culling some/all of the roosters would probably go a long way in keeping peace with the neighbors.
Good fences make good neighbours.

Try talking to the neighbours with the other animals - maybe they also are having issues with one particular difficult neighbour also, and if so then the two of you might make a case of bullying and harassement if the one neighbour is being diffcult.

I know I have a few Roos here (destined for freezer camp) I try to get up around 5:30am to get them feed and get them into the main part of the barn so they don't wake my neighbours (or me!). Locking your Roos away until after 9am in a place with windows you can close to keep sounds contained will help with noise.

As for running amok and going onto other persons property - sorry but I wouldn't want someone's animals on my property pooping etc. Even my chickens are NOT allowed up by the house.

Good luck.

The first thing to do as an responsible animal owner is to keep them on your property, preventing them from roaming and molesting the neighbourhood, no matter what species you own.

Although I have dogs and poultry myself, I did not appreciate the neighbours dog, geese, turkeys, hundreds of doves and pidgeons etc. roaming my property while pooping on our veranda, deck chairs, tables you name it and destroying my vegetable garden.

Neither did I take well the fact that the other neighbour's cows entered by running through the fence destroying it and eating up my entire harvest of pumpkins that year and lots of other vegetables that were ready to harvest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom