illinois towns that allow backyard chickens

I live in Berwyn the suburb just south of Oak Park.

I didn't see anything specifically banning chickens in the animal ordinances online. My wife called to be sure, and got laughed at by a couple people. When I wrote the clerk and asked about keeping chickens, this was the response.

Mr. Adams,
The ordinances for the City of Berwyn do not allow any chickens/fowl to be kept on City premises. See below ordinance.

§ 616.08 OFFENSIVE KEEPING OF ANIMALS.
No person shall own, keep or use any railroad car, yard, pen, place or premises in or upon which fowl, cattle or other animals are confined or kept, so as to be offensive to those residing in the vicinity or an annoyance to others.

(Ord. 07-55, passed 10-23-2007)

This seems like a pretty vague ordinance that could apply to any "offensive animal keeping".

Is there anyone from Berwyn on here that keep chickens?

Thanks! Ian

I'm working on changing the ordinance in East Peoria. I've been working with the Planning Director for the city and have been to the Zoning Board of Appeals meeting with a proposal. They agreed to send to the city attorney to draft an ordinance revision. We'll go back at the Aug ZBA meeting for their approval of the ordinance and from there it goes to the City Council.

http://www.facebook.com/?q=#!/pages/East-Peoria-Backyard-Chickens/171505786243269

Just so you all know:

Hello!

I am considering buying a home in West Chicago, with a large fenced backyard and I was wondering if there were any city ordinances concerning backyard chickens and ducks that are kept for eggs.

Thank you!
cleardot.gif

John Fincham [email protected]

Apr 6 (5 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Jeff, me
cleardot.gif

Maeghan:

The West Chicago code of ordinances specifically prohibits "roosters, chickens or any similar fowl" within the City's corporate limits.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know by responding here or calling at the number listed below.

John D. Fincham, MCP
Assistant Community Development Director

Just so you all know:

Hello!

I am considering buying a home in West Chicago, with a large fenced backyard and I was wondering if there were any city ordinances concerning backyard chickens and ducks that are kept for eggs.

Thank you!
cleardot.gif

John Fincham [email protected]

Apr 6 (5 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Jeff, me
cleardot.gif

Maeghan:

The West Chicago code of ordinances specifically prohibits "roosters, chickens or any similar fowl" within the City's corporate limits.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know by responding here or calling at the number listed below.

John D. Fincham, MCP
Assistant Community Development Director

The city's corporate limits, meaning commercial areas? (shopping centers, places of business, non residential areas)

The city's corporate limits, meaning commercial areas? (shopping centers, places of business, non residential areas)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the definition but here is what the internet gave me:
The term corporate limits is a legal name that refers to the boundaries of municipal corporations.
A municipal corporation is the legal term for a local governing body, including (but not necessarily limited to) cities, counties, towns, townships, charter townships, villages, andboroughs.

So from what i gather, no chickens in West Chicago unless you live in the unincorporated part of the city

Urbana allows hens, but no roosters, and Champaign doesn't allow any. Penfield allows them, and so does Paxton, from what I hear. Haven't actually looked up the laws there. I live outside city limits, so none of it applies to me :)

Back
Top Bottom