Illinois...

Spend some time on the ground with the chicks, I made a little modified tractor for them to get out pick up the grass. Looks like I'm ending up with a pair of speckled Sussex, a pair of silverudd, and my Olive egger looks like a little Cockerel. I also have a pullet welsummer and a French copper maran Cockerel.
I'm going to keep the French copper maran however the other boys have to go if anyone is interested. PM me!
IMG_20190616_134900.jpg IMG_20190616_134654.jpg IMG_20190616_135933.jpg IMG_20190616_134921.jpg IMG_20190616_134852.jpg

So.....I've got shingles and the doctor literally "grounded" me. Told me don't move, don't walk, don't do anything. My poor chickens, who's going to take care of them?
:idunno:hit
well thats a new one.. when my mom had shingles they didn't tell her that

from https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-are-you-risking-nerve-pain#3
The full implications of the psychological risk factors for PHN aren't clear yet, says Dworkin. But he suggests that people with shingles should try to stay active and connected.

"If psychological distress is a risk factor for PHN," he says, "then we think that people who have shingles might benefit from getting out and not being isolated and homebound."

You might make an effort to stay connected to family and friends and not to dwell on your symptoms. Also, keep in mind that even if you do develop PHN, there are treatments that can help.

So.....I've got shingles and the doctor literally "grounded" me. Told me don't move, don't walk, don't do anything. My poor chickens, who's going to take care of them?
:idunno:hit
oh No!

Well obviously you must take care of yourself. Feeling sick is no fun, but if it were me, I'd definitely use it to my advantage! Have your family do more chores (like cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, weeding the gardens, daily chicken maintenance, etc.) so you can do the important things - like cuddle baby chicks, read a good book, talk on the phone, and keep up with BYC! ;)

Last edited:
@Molpet my doc know how many kids i have and how i constantly keep going. Right now he wants me to just rest to build up my immune system. Which he is right, but is so hard for someone who constantly goes. I usually clock in 20,000 steps everyday.

@Faraday40 my hisband assigned chores, but getting them to do them is beyond frustrating. Its 10:30 and im still waiting for DS to do his mopping chore.:idunno

My two girls are finally outside. Between getting the run done and the terribly cooler temps, they are probably later then most getting out of my house but they finally get too live outside.
Going to miss not having them in the house, but won't miss the dust, yikes.
Still need to put the solid roof on the run, but it's all enclosed with hardware cloth.
20190618_141053.jpg
20190618_141029.jpg
20190618_141044.jpg

@Molpet my doc know how many kids i have and how i constantly keep going. Right now he wants me to just rest to build up my immune system. Which he is right, but is so hard for someone who constantly goes. I usually clock in 20,000 steps everyday.

@Faraday40 my hisband assigned chores, but getting them to do them is beyond frustrating. Its 10:30 and im still waiting for DS to do his mopping chore.:idunno
ahhh I understand now
shingle is no fun and I pray for a speedy recovery :hugs

Kids are out of school for the summer I assume. They can help. Go easy on the unnecessary things and focus on the important things: cooking meals, cleaning dishes, taking out the trash, feeding and caring for animals, and taking care of each other. I wouldn't worry so much about mopping, sweeping and dusting. A little dirt for a few weeks is not going to make the house fall apart. This way the kids can get the necessities done to keep the household in going, but not feel overwhelmed - that's when you're going to have unnecessary stress and arguments. All of this comes just from my experience as a kid and now a husband - focus on the essentials and ctach up on the rest when you can.
Feel better soon.
Glad to see the doctor allowed you to use the computer. :D

This weekend I filled the kiddy pool with warm water and put the ducks in it... They swam straight across to the other side and climbed out. They enjoyed the grass and digging through our mulch looking for goodies though. We attempted to introduce them to the pool again after a little while, but the did the same thing again. My 2 year old son watched the ducks closely and followed them everywhere they went - borderline chasing them.
It was fun to see them explore a bit and just be ducklings rather than birds in large metal cage with a plastic waterer and feeder filled with manufactured food. Eventually, the ducks will get access to our little pond (~1500 gallons). There's some vegetation that grows around the pond that I look forward to seeing the ducks devour - it's all weeds. :lol: It'll be great to always see them in a more natural setting.

Back
Top Bottom