Illinois...

The purina gamebird starter I can buy is medicated, which I don't like. So I mix purina gamebird layer with the prince 40% protein in a 2 to 1 ratio top achieve ~27% protein feed. It's been working very well for all of our quail.
Ludwig's can get non medicated ... they had it this spring

I have managed to sell 4 dozen chicken eggs in the past two weeks. That brought in $16 which covers the chickens costs for the month. A few more and I could cover the ducks' and turkeys' feed cost too.
and you had free eggs to eat

is the chick you hatched a boy?

probably too soon for the turkeys ... I was thinking the browns were girls and the white were boys.. but that was a wild guess

@homeschoolin momma
How's Phoe doing with her chicks?
I have managed to sell 4 dozen chicken eggs in the past two weeks. That brought in $16 which covers the chickens costs for the month. A few more and I could cover the ducks' and turkeys' feed cost too.
Good Job! This year I've made enough to cover basic food/shavings costs (plus a little extra for chicken nipples, mealworms, vet wrap, etc.) What I wish for is enough to buy another mini coop/run tractor for the bantams. However, i would need a ton of eggs to save up for that!

How's Phoe doing with her chicks
About the same, being a donkey. Im almost convinced they will be in darkness until weaned....
What I wish for is enough to buy another mini coop/run tractor for the bantams
I'm STILL looking for a good used one on craigslist and Facebook. Either im not fast enough or it's just too far!

and you had free eggs to eat

is the chick you hatched a boy?

probably too soon for the turkeys ... I was thinking the browns were girls and the white were boys.. but that was a wild guess
Here's pics of 3 of the 4 turkeys and the hen. I am still up in the air on all of them.
20190817_123141.jpg
20190817_140549.jpg

Last edited:
How old are they now? Look like hens to me...for now. About 20 weeks the males will start growing their beards. Some a little sooner, some a little later.
Chicken.....yeah, not too sure either. Looks like a boy to me though, unless its much older.

Back
Top Bottom