Illinois...

Ok, these guys are 3 weeks old. Do you think they would be ok without heat in my garage? It gets down to about 50 when its cold outside. Also, impressions on gender? Look like girls, act like boys.
20200408_180149.jpg

20200408_180147.jpg

20200408_180303.jpg

20200408_180415.jpg

I plan on removing the Turner at lock down on the 18. My hatch date is the 21st. Do you normally remove your Turner?
It depends.

I usually remove the turner for my old Hovabator & my home-made cooler-bator. Sometimes when hatching diff breeds that may look alike, I put the eggs into little containers to keep them separated until I can mark the chicks. DH calls them my "chick jails"

When I used the IncuView at the preschool we left the turner in place. It automatically turned off, so all we did was add extra water. The 360 incubator does the same thing, so I could leave it in place. My 1st hatch will be quail, so I'm debating adding a piece of nonskid shelf liner to protect little toes. If I find some of that material, then I'll have to remove the turner.

The only thing that's slightly annoying about the 360 is putting the lid back on. It must be set perfectly to the base make a proper seal. Because it takes me about 30-40 sec to position the lid, I can't just pop one egg out to peek. It's faster to leave the lid off while candling. That aside, I still think its a great value. Let's hope the quail hatch goes well.
:fl

Ok, these guys are 3 weeks old. Do you think they would be ok without heat in my garage? It gets down to about 50 when its cold outside. Also, impressions on gender? Look like girls, act like boys.
View attachment 2081005
View attachment 2081006
View attachment 2081008
View attachment 2081010
#1 may be male. It has a slightly larger comb. It will depend more on the wattle size in the next few weeks. The other 2 show no male signs at this point..... and I'm not really all that sure about #1. It's still so early.

Did the chick leg fuzz disappear?

Here's my "boy" or so I thought. "He's" big and has legs like tree trunks. This is Jewels great-grand-chick with Mr Wonderful & a Mr Potential.

Jewel's daughter = a blue orp now living with @chickendreams24
From that girl I got "Big Blue" (Jewel's granddaughter)
Before selling Big Blue, I hatched a few eggs. THIS is what I got:

4.5 weeks.
Can't confirm gender
Can't confirm color. Some gold leakage is coming through. Ugh!
IMG_3059 (2).JPG
IMG_3065 (2).JPG
IMG_3061 (2).JPG
IMG_3066.JPG

The color reminds me of Glow. Glow was a very ugly chick but turned into a beauty.
Glow:
IMG_6738 copy.jpg
IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_1342 (2).JPG

Uh oh.
Someone won an eBay auction for eggs. :frow
Completely unexpected, but they're already on their way. My question is: How peeved should I be at the seller? I requested hold at post office and they never paid attention to my instructions, just shipped them out to my home address. I could intercept but looking at the price isn't making me happy.
Should I just sing 'let it go'?
My last order from meyer hatchery didn't hold at post office. I got a text saying chicks are at p.o. so I drive and wait in line to get a text from DW saying they are at the house.

Back
Top Bottom