Illinois...

I cant comment on the chicks but can u make my garage look like that?
I worked so hard on cleaning and painting that garage last summer. I didn't quite finish, I still need to paint the ceiling and cabinets, but I was pressed for time as it was a surprise for my husband. Normally, all the cars fit inside, but DH mom's apartment is getting renovated and guess where her stuff went......😑

Speaking of broody hens and chickens being weird. My little Pippin is all done raising her lone chick. Poor little thing is lonely. I took a chance and popped the chick in with Phoenix expecting the worst. Phoe just looked at her closely and went about her business, showing them all where stuff was. She didn't care a bit! Got 4, what's one more? Since it was so late though, I put the chick back. Pippin and jasper allow it to sleep with them. I didn't want to risk Phoe having a change of heart after I left.

But I don't think Phoenix and Jasper will ever be together again. They were fighting through a clear Rubbermaid for 5 minutes, hackles up on jasper and Phoenix trying to kick through. If chickens were to get divorced, then these two are on their way!

I have 2 broody turkeys. I have no idea how many eggs they have. Mama, my original, is in an old shed that I was going to tear down. :barnie She will draw blood.

The other is in a coop with her head in a sideways milk crate covered with cardboard. I guess she thinks she can't be seen if she can't see me. :lau

Speaking of broody hens and chickens being weird. My little Pippin is all done raising her lone chick. Poor little thing is lonely. I took a chance and popped the chick in with Phoenix expecting the worst. Phoe just looked at her closely and went about her business, showing them all where stuff was. She didn't care a bit! Got 4, what's one more? Since it was so late though, I put the chick back. Pippin and jasper allow it to sleep with them. I didn't want to risk Phoe having a change of heart after I left.

But I don't think Phoenix and Jasper will ever be together again. They were fighting through a clear Rubbermaid for 5 minutes, hackles up on jasper and Phoenix trying to kick through. If chickens were to get divorced, then these two are on their way!
I think Phoenix may calm down when her hormones return to normal. Like Pippin, Coge also abandoned her babies very early - maybe 4 weeks. The silkies are the opposite and never truly give up. In fact I remember Xansie & her chick sitting in the nest box each day when it was time to lay. A month later when Xansie went broody again, I honestly thought that chick would sit beside her throughout the incubation. LOL Phoenix definitely shows her silkie side when it comes to broodiness.

My Teddy is having his own broody issues. He's trying to be a good daddy but most of his harem is broody. 2 silkies & 2 seramas have chicks. He's constantly running between 2 hens who think their babies deserve all the food in the feeder or the best sunning spot or whatever else they decide to bicker over. He's a good boy and keeps the peace, but he gets a little frustrated when the hens won't let him mate.

Last edited:
She will draw blood.
Not if you have these
1586542366079.png

or these
1586542454937.png

I brought Cookie inside last night to clean her up a little. (Orps have a lot of fluff. She laid a few soft eggs & had some egg on her feathers. Poor girl.) Afterwards she got a blow dry and some time inside to finish drying out. I just let her walk around & she was very interested in hearing Coge & her 2 chicks. Then Cookie went to the sliding door and saw all the other bantams with their chicks. Guess who's acting broody this morning?!!

Good old Cookie! I have an incubator full of eggs and no one I'd rather have in charge of them than my expert broody!

My 6 yr old bantam orpington, Cookie:
View attachment 2082480View attachment 2082482View attachment 2082483

A new record. Broodiness is contagious. She just SAW other broody hens through the windows and the next day caught broody fever!

Going back to Coge. I put her back into the bantam coop today. She did OK. After a few hours, I added some treats, and Coge came running out of the coop. Where were her babies? I was so worried when I didn't see them! I checked the coop & the nest boxes. I started pushing bantams aside and searching for bodies in the bedding. I simply couldn't find them, & Coge didn't seem the least bit upset. I went back to the coop & found them content & warm under Sesame. Her chicks are 4.5 weeks, but I guess she didn't mind having them over for a play-date. Now they are settling down for the night & the 2 seramas are sharing a nest. I guess I won't have to worry.
I'm going to show pictures to my hens and see if broodiness is contagious that way. I really need a broody hen right now!

Put my coachin eggs in the incubator today. After 4 days of fooling around with temperature and humidity, I think I have it down pat. I hope so. :fl
Please, please, please, everybody send broody vibes my way. I really don't want to be mothering eggs for 21 days! I haven't hatched out from an incubator in 12+ years! It's too stressful! I'd rather be a grandma!

I set 24 spitzhauben eggs. 23 have made it to hatch. Not too shabby. Tomorrow night is 21 days. I took them off turning and increased humidity Wednesday evening. Tonight I went to quickly check to make sure they were more or less facing the correct way so i could see pips. I could already see internal pips and hear cheeping. Second from the last egg to check, I turn it toward me to find a little beak poking through! An early arrival! I added some more water and closed her up. Oh how I wish I had a broody right now!

I'm going to show pictures to my hens and see if broodiness is contagious that way. I really need a broody hen right now!
Show them this one:
:gig
IMG_9339.jpg

Seriously, you could make a nice nest of marked eggs to entice a hen. Also I think the sounds of chicks peeping may cause the broody horomones to rise. Maybe take a tablet out to the coop and have them watch home/coop videos on Youtube.
* Also be careful what you wish for. You're getting cochins. I've heard they're one of the most broody breeds. Just wait until next spring!!!!!

I knew Cookie would go broody at some point but I never thought it would happen overnight. She spent last night and more than half of today in the nest. She's not "all-out" broody yet. I know by the volume of her banshee scream, but I'm glad she'll be ready to adopt the turkeys and chicks when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom