Illinois...

@BReeder!
Sorry about your car, but glad you're OK and walked away from the accident.

@cavemanrich
It sounds like you had a very rough few days.
If you need a cuddle, I've got just the girl for you.....
IMG_4836 (2).JPG

She may be ugly, but Lonely is sweet and easily gets along with other chickens. If your Polish hen doesn't return, she's all yours. Hatch May 13th. I can guarantee she won't "fly" away. She has silkied feathers, so can't fly at all.

Here are my July 4th chicks
I brought them inside and took a few pics. (I tried to get them to stand upright by touching under the beak.)

July 4th hatch, so 6 weeks old

Black (my fav.; a bit calmer & smaller)
IMG_4867 (2).JPG

IMG_4868 (2).JPG

Blue has always been slightly larger - even at hatch. Body feels more solid / muscular. However, with such a tiny comb at 6 weeks, I'm leaning toward female.

IMG_4871 (2).JPG

IMG_4877 (2).JPG

and the cute little "unauthorized" serama chick.hatchling"
IMG_4880 (2).JPG
IMG_4883 (2).JPG
IMG_4887 (2).JPG

Here are some chicks hatched today:
IMG_4888.JPG
IMG_4889.JPG

serama standing next to a silver laced orp
IMG_4893.JPG

We got 2 seramas and 4 silver laced orps
Of course the minute I put them into the brooder, they pooped. LOL
IMG_4894.JPG

A friend will chick sit until Tuesday's hatch. Then we'll put them + the new chicks under the broody at the same time.

Well I am pleased with my first broody and hatch. Had 9 eggs under broody hen to start. She hatched 4. Then I saw one hatching and I believe I triggered her to leave the nest when I grabbed the hatching egg. Lost that one
Rushed a makeshift incubator with a heat lamp after eggs cooled down. Ordered incubator.
4 eggs in incubator
Hatched 2, went on vacation and had a friend watch. Our first day gone 1 chick hatched...... then tornado and everyone lost power. That chick is fine and she named it Albie (she kept it warm as only a lady could). Last egg lost with loss of power. Total 7 of 9 against all odds.

Here are my July 4th chicks
I brought them inside and took a few pics. (I tried to get them to stand upright by touching under the beak.)

July 4th hatch, so 6 weeks old

Black (my fav.; a bit calmer & smaller)
IMG_4867 (2).JPG

IMG_4868 (2).JPG

Blue has always been slightly larger - even at hatch. Body feels more solid / muscular. However, with such a tiny comb at 6 weeks, I'm leaning toward female.

IMG_4871 (2).JPG

IMG_4877 (2).JPG

and the cute little "unauthorized" serama chick.hatchling"
View attachment 2290776View attachment 2290778View attachment 2290777
Love the last picture of "unauthorized "

@BReeder! Glad you are ok. I saw a couple accidents on 55 today. I should have waved?
Or is it too soon?
One was a brown jeep Cherokee.
Well you were a day late but my car is a tan/goldish jeep. It would have been ironic if you did see me.

Going to the car lot in a bit. I have a 9:30 appointment. Maybe I will buy a car today. BTW, it would be my first new car from a lot. I've always had a used car bought on the street because it's cheaper and no payment - not as reliable though and the family needs reliability.

I forgot to mention in here that I saw a terrible chicken encounter in Chicago on Wednesday. A girl was walking her dog with the leash dragging (not holding it at all). The dog got into the front yard of a house where there were chickens. 3 or 4 chickens were running down the block and the dog had another in its mouth. I think the three dog got died. A lady came out and was very upset with the matter. The girl just walked away with her dog after a few minutes.
It was quite sad. I was in the middle of a side job so I couldn't do much. Her soon come past a but later and asked if we saw any chickens. They must have lost a few in the chaos.

Quite sad, but reminds me of the importance to keep our birds secure.

Back
Top Bottom