Illinois...

What types of chickens do you have?
Ive got a big mixed flock. I recently got silkies but I have plymouth rocks, rhode island reds, dominique, wyandotte, australop, ameraucana, polish, welsummer, cream legbar, appenzeller spitzhauben, and im sure i have missed some. I also have two turkeys, six ducks, and four guinea fowl.

I've got the 6 seramas due next Sunday, but with the delicatenature that seramas are, I'd hate to risk putting them with all those big fat clumsy orps out there. I gave her 1 lav egg last night. May need to throw some slo eggs under her. What gives? Not even the half silkie Phoenix has gone broody twice in this many months!
The broody timing may work in your advantage. If you allow the CCL to hatch eggs, the seramas will be less "delicate" and about the same size as newly hatched orps. Mama can adopt them and clean out your brooder at the same time!

You may want her to sit on your fake eggs until you have collected the eggs you want to hatch. (You know the egg that fools everyone and keeps getting brought into the house. LOL)

So far this young cockerel mutt is my favorite. Cant see in this picture but he has that blue iridescent of a Black Australorp and lots of erratic redish brown feathers.
Could be one of the moms in the background lol. Not sure if any of them know.

Screenshot_20200912-221314_Video Player.jpg

Hi Adna, missed seeing this over the weekend. I’m about an hour ? from you. Greenville Illinois. I have only 10 ladies so far . 3 Easter Eggers, 2buffs,2barred rock, 2 gold lace Wyandottes,and 1 Rhode. Going to get more chicks Wednesday.

They are mine :thumbsup from Faraday. :highfive:Thank You.
:love
IMG_20200912_163505328.jpg

Free-ranging as we sat outdoors. Just by coincidence in pix, the 3 small ones are from Faraday. The darker one is Dyna, and the lighter one is Savanna. From last year.
IMG_20200912_173939125.jpg

This is in Run Area next to coop. It is a Overhead Tarp covered area, that is mostly dry regardless of how much it rains. Most of their 60+ foot long run area is tarp covered so it is dry . Also safe from flying raptors. What raptors don't see does not tempt them.
IMG_20200913_140301185.jpg

They integrated very well. The 2 newcomers always hang together. It's Lonely with her bodyguard Wendy.:highfive:
First 2 nights inside coop, I placed a dog cage and both were inside to keep possible roughness under control. During day, they roamed incident free in their run area. Sunday we had some family come for dinner. Everyone was adoring Lil Lonely. :love,,,,,,, She is sooooooo sweeeet, and loves to be handled and picked up. All the chickens were allowed to free-range as we sat around outdoors.

The newcomers already know the return route to their run and coop on back side of the house. Chickens learn quicker than we think:frow.
I took cage out tonight, and sat Wendy and Lonely on a midway roost. They sat there, without any hesitation, and chickens on upper roost seemed to be fine with them there.
I think Wendy will soon be the #2 hen in coop. Simply because of size. My RIR that is now 8+ years old still wants to be bossss. :idunno

In this pix Lonely is probably wondering,,, "where am I" :hit" I miss my previous family"
I shot this pix Saturday when I first brought her home. I sent it to all family members via text, to brag:thumbsup
IMG_20200912_173032875.jpg

Back
Top Bottom