Illinois...

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by mothergoose, Jan 13, 2007.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Could you get a list of what he has for sale and then ask him what he wants for each one? [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh yes, she is vicious when she is broody and won't let up. I don't know how she would be with chicks unless you let her brood some and see what kind of mother she would be. Beautiful girl but boy, she is vicious broody!

I was hoping to hear from Mothergoose but have not so I am assuming she does not have any at this point. It just sucks! maybe next year we can make a trip up there and see if Jerry will bring us what we are looking for. Or another ABC breeder.

3. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Last week when it was cool out they decided to all go broody! I swear my Mixed Bantam Hens go broody more than anything!

I'm thinking about letting her sit on some eggs next year.

Last time I heard from Christine is when I E-mailed her about the Ameraucanas. That was about.. 3-4 Months ago? They could still be doing Fair Stuff? I'm not sure, haven't seen her on here for quite a while.

Ooooo! A trip! A chicken trip! [​IMG] I would be scared by last minute Impulse buys.. Do you think we "could" get to see his birds and set-up if we wear those lab coats and shoe covers? We could be spacemen! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
  4. cockandbullfarms

cockandbullfarms New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    Quote:Ewesheep,

I guess I should have been a bit more clear. When I said commercial, I meant we would be looking at an operation much like Arthur IL, but probably smaller. we arent looking for investors or anything like that... It would be a small family owned facility. We are wanting to provide custom butchering in a USDA inspected facility so that we can provide others with the same level of service we had found at Arthur. We are in the very early stages of planning and feasability studies. Just wondering if anyone else could use a facility like this is southern IL.

We know they are very busy and sometimes we have found it difficult to get in on short notice. I think they do an OUTSTANDING job at Central IL poultry processing, but as our demand ramps up for our chickens, it makes the 3hr trip (1way) less attractive... we are just kicking it around, and we would love anyone's input.

Thanks,

CBF

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Quote:No, it's another App but the one on the POW is beautiful.....
    See, you know alot about those App's now don't you [​IMG]
    BTW, My one Ameraucana Roo crowed for the first time this morning and I thought of you [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Ewesheep,

I guess I should have been a bit more clear. When I said commercial, I meant we would be looking at an operation much like Arthur IL, but probably smaller. we arent looking for investors or anything like that... It would be a small family owned facility. We are wanting to provide custom butchering in a USDA inspected facility so that we can provide others with the same level of service we had found at Arthur. We are in the very early stages of planning and feasability studies. Just wondering if anyone else could use a facility like this is southern IL.

We know they are very busy and sometimes we have found it difficult to get in on short notice. I think they do an OUTSTANDING job at Central IL poultry processing, but as our demand ramps up for our chickens, it makes the 3hr trip (1way) less attractive... we are just kicking it around, and we would love anyone's input.

Thanks,

CBF

I am very certain there WILL be a demand. Just spread the word out on internet, on here, breed clubs, etc. and before long you will get the business you expect.

The one in Arthur is very very busy and sometimes they are overwhelmed by people raising their own poultry. Good business for them and it should be good business for you as well. There are plenty of poultry breeders in Southern IL and they would be glad to take their culls to you!

7. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:No, it's another App but the one on the POW is beautiful.....
    See, you know alot about those App's now don't you [​IMG]
    BTW, My one Ameraucana Roo crowed for the first time this morning and I thought of you [​IMG]

We really should get together more often. The knowledge base in just those real BYC chicken people who attended was ENORMOUS! I loved learning about your breed and about vinegar for weeds and fifth wheel trailers and guitars and tortoises and ingenious ways of dealing with Japanese Beetles ....... Too bad you can't have conversations like we had over the internet like we did at the meet. There was so much knowledge to learn in such a short time! Thanks for thinking of me. "[​IMG]" right back at you!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    when time permits, Paradise, I might just drag Ducklover and me, and dd over to your farm next year! If that is the case of future planning!

Wished I was there but glad that everyone had fun!

9. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:Thank you, we did! And you are welcome almost any time - (as long as I am home).

This was all your idea first Flock Mistress! It is due to your organization skills and original idea that this thing got started in the first place! You started this ball rolling, then when Zoo jumped on and NotAFarm jumped in that idea took on a life of it's own until it burst onto Paradise Found's landscape.
    I've got this donation and raffle idea well worked out and will bring my experience to the table.
    NotAFarm is the most organized Happy person I have ever met and I'm sure she will help.
    Zoo357 has an inate ability to inspire. (Her other half is a great guy and a good cook).
    Bluebird can make the chaos seam comfortable in her sweet ways and has great ideas for many things like raffles and food (and her husband is a fun conversationalist).
    6 Chickens St Charles talent is thinking how to make everyone comfortable and not leaving any one out. (Wish I could have spent more time talking with her family - all very talented people).

I volunteer all of us to help organize this. Lets start now. Throw up ideas on when and where. Paradise found is open for a where but there are surely other farms who would want to host that have camping areas and lots of parking.

This meet's day should be decided WAY ahead of time as we found out that the summer months are fraught with too many activities to have a meet slipped into them. The meet should be inked into next years calendar. I also belive that it should be a 2 day event as there was just too much information to be learned in a few hours. I would like to suggest that a bird sale/trade area be designed into the set-up so that all would be safe but also be on display.

What do you say Flock Mistress?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  10. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Ya!
    I want some of those pretty eggs to hatch....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by