Illinois...

My first time going to Sandwich fair and I greatly underestimated its immensity. The heat and sun did me in.
I went today too. I wish I would have known you were there. It's our second or third time now. I didn't see half the stuff I wanted to this time because the kids spent several hours in on the carnival viewing $60 (WTF!) on ride tickets. We did all the animals first though which is my favorite part of the fair. We saw some beautiful Cochins and Orpingtons. Oh, how I wish I could keep a rooster after seeing them. We saw some really nice rabbits too. I haven't started a rabbit venture yet, but still want to. I think it's going to wait until we get a bigger property one day. And I can get a tractor loader with a mowing deck then too! I was checking those out today.

Saturday,, 9-11 I had flag at Half Mast. Took down at sunset

A number of people passing recognized the significance.
IMG_20210911_145642996_HDR.jpg

Yesterday as I was driving to a cross country meet, hearing news of my friend giving birth, listening to people making plans...it just seemed weird to me that now it's a regular day again. Those first few years after, there was a reverence or fear shadowing the day and every year after I feel like more and more people forget that sense of reverence. My kids weren't even born then, many adults were too young to really remember. I often wonder if this is what it's like for the generation before me on Pearl Harbor Day or other major dates.

I went today too. I wish I would have known you were there. It's our second or third time now. I didn't see half the stuff I wanted to this time because the kids spent several hours in on the carnival viewing $60 (WTF!) on ride tickets. We did all the animals first though which is my favorite part of the fair. We saw some beautiful Cochins and Orpingtons. Oh, how I wish I could keep a rooster after seeing them. We saw some really nice rabbits too. I haven't started a rabbit venture yet, but still want to. I think it's going to wait until we get a bigger property one day. And I can get a tractor loader with a mowing deck then too! I was checking those out today.
We got there about 1:30 and didn't even find the animals till 4:30. By then I was done. Definitely going next year.

@BReeder! & @WhyDoILikeChickens
I'm glad you got the chance to see the Sandwich Fair. Had to miss it this year. Did either of you get to try an éclair??? My favorite day is Sunday= rabbit show and demolition derby.
I'm trying to stay away from the sweets. I will say the fair is expensive. too much stuff costs extra. $40 to get in $20 for this $15 for that. I'll go to sycamore speedway for demolition derby, its every week.

I'm trying to stay away from the sweets. I will say the fair is expensive. too much stuff costs extra. $40 to get in $20 for this $15 for that. I'll go to sycamore speedway for demolition derby, its every week.
We were there from 3pm-10pm.

I agree on the cost. I feel the raised prices for entry especially. I don't remember it being $10 per adult. I feel like it used to be $5. The kids were free based on their ages, but we still paid $20 to get in. And then the carnival company required adults riding with children to have tickets for the rides too. My kids are too small to ride alone so DW or I had to ride with them on every ride. We spent $60 for 50 ride tickets and most rides were 3 or 4 tickets (that's $3.60-$4.80 per person per ride!). I spent $120 all together, which is not incredibly terrible for a full day of family fun but it's more than I expected.

Aside from cost though, we did have a good time and will likely be back next year. It's a great time and one of the few times I get to nerd out on animals with the kids.

I think we also figured out either free or discounted way in. So sad to hear kids are no longer free at the fair.
* We'd go on Friday nights because there was always some discount and kids free.
* If we went with another family or two, our group would be large enough to pre-purchase tickets as a group.
* Some events offer a Sunday morning church service, and there's no entry fee for church. (or there's a request for food donations which is a better thing to spend money on than admission....) When church is over, the ticket sales are open, but you're already inside the park
* I always pack a picnic cooler for lunch with plenty of drinks. Return to car for a little break, eat a snack, reapply sunscreen, etc. With the cost of food so high, it's an easy way to save money without sacrificing family fun.

A boil order has been in effect since Friday here... @WhyDoILikeChickens You are probably on our water system. My sister a few blocks from you is at least. There was e. coli found in the water supply and they haven't tracked it down just yet and additional tests keep showing positive for it. We are resorting to boiling about 2 gallons each day for drinking and cooking. Stores here cannot keep a supply of bottles water in stock right now so that's not much of an option unless I drive further to get it.

Back
Top Bottom