Illinois...

Welcome @Ittybittyschmidtie ! :frow

I’m in Lee County and pass through McHenry County on my way to our daughter’s house in Antioch.
What kind of flock do you have?
aww that’s awesome! Must be a nice scenic drive 😁

First time chicken raiser they are 6 weeks
15 chickens
5 speckled sussex
5 Easter eggers
2 cinnamon queens
3 Delawares

Pretty sure there is a couple cockerels amongst the gals but not really sure how to probably identify

So glad I found an Illinois thread because I do have a couple questions that hopefully y’all may be able to answer

Thank you so excited to be here honestly love learning and absorbing information !!!

aww that’s awesome! Must be a nice scenic drive 😁

First time chicken raiser they are 6 weeks
15 chickens
5 speckled sussex
5 Easter eggers
2 cinnamon queens
3 Delawares

Pretty sure there is a couple cockerels amongst the gals but not really sure how to probably identify

So glad I found an Illinois thread because I do have a couple questions that hopefully y’all may be able to answer

Thank you so excited to be here honestly love learning and absorbing information !!!
Welcome to the thread.
We will try to answer questions 🙂

To the new and my old friends
:welcome

A special big thank you to @BReeder! for helping me with my coop repair today. (I say “help” but he pretty much did it all. )

My chickens are happy to be back in place.
9AD9DA32-061A-40C9-846F-C5EAD55F6D40.jpeg

3C260704-102E-4B5B-BB43-40B06F704AF2.jpeg
Above is one of the stakes used to anchor the coop to ground. Before that could be done, some rotting boards under the coop needed to be replaced. Before that could be done, the coop had to be moved off the platform. Before that could be done the little tunnel between coop and run had to be removed. Also the tires under the coop went flat after 11 years. Such is life with home repair

…. And here’s the rush hour when the girls were allowed back into the coop. Of course they all made a beeline to use the 4th nest box and left the others empty.

959B305C-6C8D-467D-B655-8A19774B5E22.jpeg

Last edited:
To the new and my old friends

A special big thank you to @BReeder! for helping me with my coop repair today. (I say “help” but he pretty much did it all. )

My chickens are happy to be back in place.
View attachment 3504435
View attachment 3504416
Above is one of the stakes used to anchor the coop to ground. Before that could be done, some rotting boards under the coop needed to be replaced. Before that could be done, the coop had to be moved off the platform. Before that could be done the little tunnel between coop and run had to be removed. Also the tires under the coop went flat after 11 years. Such is life with home repair

…. And here’s the rush hour when the girls were allowed back into the coop. Of course they all made a beeline to use the 4th nest box and left the others empty.

View attachment 3504432
It was great spending some time together! The coop should be good for several more years now. :) It really wasn't all that difficult, just time consuming as such things always are... except figuring out how to lift the coop - good thing I had the scissor jack in the truck.
Also, DS loves the bread you sent me home with. Half a loaf is gone already.

Also, DS loves the bread you sent me home with. Half a loaf is gone already.
As also is in my family, usually gone that night. Her bread is amazing!😍

At least yours use a box. It's like an easter egg hunt at my house. In the box, outside the box, under the coop, in the baby section under the coop, in the pasture....wherever!

As also is in my family, usually gone that night. Her bread is amazing!😍
At least yours use a box. It's like an easter egg hunt at my house. In the box, outside the box, under the coop, in the baby section under the coop, in the pasture....wherever!
Awww thanks

My Cinnamon Queen ALWAYS lays her egg on a shelf above my head. It’s been 4.5 months and without fail there it is on the shelf. Not sure if I will ever be able to break that habit at this point.

When the coop was moved yesterday I had a Leghorn attempting to sneak into garage at every opportunity. Its just one of her many quirks. She knows how to use the nest box but if it’s not easily available, she insists on getting into the garage.

Back
Top Bottom