Illinois...

Welcome, Winddancer. You're not far from me. I live in Longview, which is 22 miles SSE of Urbana, Champaign County, almost in Douglas and almost in Vermilion County.
I started with one white Leghorn ~ 7 years ago. She passed away and I bought a clutch of 6 RIR's from the Arthur small animal auction. 5 were roosters which I sold at auction, and I kept the hen. THEN, I bought 10 chicks from Chick Days at Farm & Fleet. Since then I've acquired free Welsummer and EE roosters, over the last few years. DH and I decided we wanted both eggs and meat, so I learned to butcher, as well as incubate eggs. I don't like any animal inbreeding, so my youngest layers are RIR x Welsummer/EE crosses. I have 15 of them, and I get 9-13 eggs/day, 1/2 of which are olive green on the outside and baby blue on the inside of the shells. I also picked up an unrelated EE rooster in November, when I sold 1/2 of my young layers, @ $4.50/bird. Somebody bought them all, and spent $65.00 for 15 hens just starting to lay. Not too bad, since they didn't have to feed them for 4 months.
I replace my layers every year, now. We incubated ~ 60 birds last year. I especially like to butcher the 2-3 month old roosters bc I skin my birds and they are both easy to butcher and very tender. Almost all the older birds have been butchered/frozen or eaten, but I decided to keep one of last year's free roosters, and buy HIM 5 EE pullets from "Chick Days" next month. I didn't want him to freeze outside, so I kept 3 of the older hens so that they could hunker down in the "turkey house" which DH and I made. The base is a wooden pallet, it stands about 4 ft high, is open to the north, but 3 ft from an outbuilding. I also cut an old, rubber, horse mat for the floor. It is very cozy for the 3 of them, and I lined it with pine shavings and straw. The 3 hens will either go to my friend who wants to start with chickens this Spring, or to freezer camp.
I have found that waiting until after the winter starts to butcher older birds gives them a layer of fat which really tenderizes their meat. AND, older roosters, cooked slow are very meaty even if they are not meat birds.\
BTW, I live on a 5 acre, 100 yo property, with the horses in the back yard, and a nice, big barn for storage. We, too, have a rotten coyote problem.

Welcome, Winddancer. You're not far from me. I live in Longview, which is 22 miles SSE of Urbana, Champaign County, almost in Douglas and almost in Vermilion County.
I started with one white Leghorn ~ 7 years ago. She passed away and I bought a clutch of 6 RIR's from the Arthur small animal auction. 5 were roosters which I sold at auction, and I kept the hen. THEN, I bought 10 chicks from Chick Days at Farm & Fleet. Since then I've acquired free Welsummer and EE roosters, over the last few years. DH and I decided we wanted both eggs and meat, so I learned to butcher, as well as incubate eggs. I don't like any animal inbreeding, so my youngest layers are RIR x Welsummer/EE crosses. I have 15 of them, and I get 9-13 eggs/day, 1/2 of which are olive green on the outside and baby blue on the inside of the shells. I also picked up an unrelated EE rooster in November, when I sold 1/2 of my young layers, @ $4.50/bird. Somebody bought them all, and spent $65.00 for 15 hens just starting to lay. Not too bad, since they didn't have to feed them for 4 months.
I replace my layers every year, now. We incubated ~ 60 birds last year. I especially like to butcher the 2-3 month old roosters bc I skin my birds and they are both easy to butcher and very tender. Almost all the older birds have been butchered/frozen or eaten, but I decided to keep one of last year's free roosters, and buy HIM 5 EE pullets from "Chick Days" next month. I didn't want him to freeze outside, so I kept 3 of the older hens so that they could hunker down in the "turkey house" which DH and I made. The base is a wooden pallet, it stands about 4 ft high, is open to the north, but 3 ft from an outbuilding. I also cut an old, rubber, horse mat for the floor. It is very cozy for the 3 of them, and I lined it with pine shavings and straw. The 3 hens will either go to my friend who wants to start with chickens this Spring, or to freezer camp.
I have found that waiting until after the winter starts to butcher older birds gives them a layer of fat which really tenderizes their meat. AND, older roosters, cooked slow are very meaty even if they are not meat birds.\
BTW, I live on a 5 acre, 100 yo property, with the horses in the back yard, and a nice, big barn for storage. We, too, have a rotten coyote problem.
So far, I havent had any issues with coyotes. They seem to stay their distance from the farm. Thankfully. We are looking for EEs. When does "Chick Days" start?

Here is the Tractor Supply website with their ad for chick days coming. You'll have to call your local store to find out when they'll starting getting chicks in. If you ask, you may find out which days they get shipments and maybe get the best selection. Some stores will even order specific chicks for you.

Last time we were in the Rural King in Peru I read a sign that stated they were getting chicks in March.

Anyone know what hatchery they order from?

I think they order from McMurray. Usually F & F has "Chick Days" next week, and also in March. RK has their "Chick Days" in March. You order and then pick up about 3 weeks later. I like using this bc you can order the bare minimum of 5 chicks (or multiples of 5), and they guarantee your chicks. This is bc of the volume of their TOTAL order. The folks who retrieve your chicks think this is the best time of the store's year--happy employees, and happy customers. The reason that hatcheries want you to order a minimum of 25 chicks is bc of retaining the 95 degrees F temperature.
Sometimes there are chicks that aren't picked up, and you might be able to purchase them one at a time, but it's all about timing.
I have also bought chicks at the Arthur Auction House. They sell birds the 2nd & 4th Monday of every month, sale starts @ 6 PM. They sell chickens, ducks, geese, pheasant, peacocks, swans, guinea hens and turkeys there. There are ALWAYS chickens, and the others are sold there, sometimes, hit and miss. Should you ever want to buy there you need to arrive early, and register, and they give you an auction number, which they keep. So, if you buy or sell, your number stays registered. They also give you a cardstock with your number, which they write with a Sharpie. You don't buy bc you scratch your nose. You need to wave the number to get into the bidding. You also need to really pay attention to the auctioneer. It's a drive, so you have to figure in $gas. BUT, people will bid on a large volume and then decide they don't want them all. Other bidders can then request a certain # of birds at that price.
DH and I have status and a low number--#117. We've been buying horses and horse supplies there since 1985.
April is a good month to buy baby chicks at auction. We also sold our 15 pullets/layers in November. I brought them in my open wire, black dog crates, and got a better price than the ones that are in their old chicken wire cages. I bought my EE rooster there in November, too.

Is anyone else from Chicago? I have a small flock of 3 bsl's and 3 br's. I am looking to find 3 ee's in the spring, but I need pullets I can't keep chicks in my house because of the dog. Does anyone know where I can get any about 8-10 weeks old?

Ducks4you,

I went to the Arthur sale once last year. I do have to say, it is not for the faint of heart. A lot of people bring their extra Roos and Drakes....and by the quantity that some people buy them in, you can tell that they are not going home to be pets.
wink.png
But I did see a few really nice roos there. If anyone was looking for one specificially, you will find it there! I wonder if, during the bidding, you yell out "I'm buying him for a breeder, not a feeder" that the other's bidding for food birds would stop bidding against you?
bun.gif

Mychicagoladies,

I am sure that we can find someone to help you out. After all, we are a bunch of enablers. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom