Illinois...

ChicagoClucker

Yes, I agree that it looks like a lav orp roo. The other lav has strong chance of being a pullet. (Pics below of male & female at 6-7 weeks. Excuse the messy beak.)

Most chicks look like females until something pops. The EE is the same. I do not see any color in the comb, but keep an eye out for any pink. Sometimes an EE with a wide 3 row pea comb = male. However, I have seen a handful of exceptions from others on BYC. Many of the clues come from feather patterns, but that's not helpful when the bird is a solid color.

Here they were at 5 weeks.

Here are examples of the male EE comb with just a touch of pink..

Two EEs below grew into very pretty females.

Thank you for the pics and explanation. And that last pic, looks like a gold laced EE, soooo pretty.

Last edited:
Thought I'd share some pics of my bantam Cochin's from @ellymayRans
They are almost 4 weeks.

@Nwchickma those bantams are too cute!

I spent the day gardening and moving plants to get ready to build the new coop and run. Can't wait to be able to walk and not have to look at the ground to avoid poop on the pavers.
barnie.gif
Also took 4 of the roos to the feed store today. The remaining 4 are awfully quiet and sad, I feel bad. But, I was also proud of myself, that I walked out without a gold laced Wyandotte! They had them again, they are killing me! The guy helping me to my car with everything was laughing at me. And @Faraday40 , I am getting a little nervous, the little English Orp's comb is growing and looking a little PINK ! It would be my luck.

Also my Lav Ams and BBMs are due to hatch this week. All 15 eggs looked good at lockdown, but the incubator got a little to hot overnite and I am worried. Hopefully they are ok.

So glad to be able to be outside working and spending time with my girls.

My orp males started showing pink (& grew larger) all of a sudden at exactly 4 weeks old.
These were taken on Monday (4 wks 1 day old) Chick 1 is male & chick B & 4 are female. These are the siblings to yours hatched on April 12th.
My lav female may look a little pink because of its pale feathering, but you can see that it has no height to its comb. Males should get huge combs & the wattles grow quickly too. I'm no expert at sexing them, but if you send some clear pics, I'll give it a try.

Since you have a place that will take males, I'd recommend keeping the lav orp until you're sure - like if it crows. My Coro Sussex had a pink comb at 4 weeks & red by 8 weeks. The comb never popped up & stayed small. Turned out, she was a hen. Now I'm glad I didn't rush to give her away. (Of course with that one, I didn't know until she was over 6 months old!)

My orp males started showing pink (& grew larger) all of a sudden at exactly 4 weeks old.
These were taken on Monday (4 wks 1 day old) Chick 1 is male & chick B & 4 are female. These are the siblings to yours hatched on April 12th.
My lav female may look a little pink because of its pale feathering, but you can see that it has no height to its comb. Males should get huge combs & the wattles grow quickly too. I'm no expert at sexing them, but if you send some clear pics, I'll give it a try.

Since you have a place that will take males, I'd recommend keeping the lav orp until you're sure - like if it crows. My Coro Sussex had a pink comb at 4 weeks & red by 8 weeks. The comb never popped up & stayed small. Turned out, she was a hen. Now I'm glad I didn't rush to give her away. (Of course with that one, I didn't know until she was over 6 months old!)

Ok, now that I see the pics of HER siblings I feel better. Her comb looks like her sister, a little pink, but not the growth of her brother in the first pic, Thank goodness! Thanks for making me feel better. I still have your Lav roo and the EE cross (I think its a pullet) just waiting to see.

Anyone want free Marraduna Basque (Euskal Oiloa) cockerels? Out of 7 eggs I managed to hatch 6 boys.
1f62b.png
Hoping someone would like them. If not, they will go to freezer camp eventually. They are 8 weeks old, SUPER friendly. If you are looking for a friendly rooster, these are the guys for you. They come up to me and want attention. Not usual chicken behavior, but apparently the norm for the breed. If you are interested, I live in the Peoria area. PM me. Should be beautiful adults- lemon or buff and blue barred.

@Nwchickma those bantams are too cute!

I spent the day gardening and moving plants to get ready to build the new coop and run. Can't wait to be able to walk and not have to look at the ground to avoid poop on the pavers.
barnie.gif
Also took 4 of the roos to the feed store today. The remaining 4 are awfully quiet and sad, I feel bad. But, I was also proud of myself, that I walked out without a gold laced Wyandotte! They had them again, they are killing me! The guy helping me to my car with everything was laughing at me. And @Faraday40 , I am getting a little nervous, the little English Orp's comb is growing and looking a little PINK ! It would be my luck.

Also my Lav Ams and BBMs are due to hatch this week. All 15 eggs looked good at lockdown, but the incubator got a little to hot overnite and I am worried. Hopefully they are ok.

So glad to be able to be outside working and spending time with my girls.
Good luck with the hatch. Can't wait to see the newbie pics. Due Thursday?

I set my eggs on Saturday (don't know why). Have 15, 4th generation Mauves, 4 BBS, 12 Jubilees and various Legbar eggs (Legbars are for test hatching for White Sport gene).

Good luck with the hatch. Can't wait to see the newbie pics. Due Thursday?

I set my eggs on Saturday (don't know why). Have 15, 4th generation Mauves, 4 BBS, 12 Jubilees and various Legbar eggs (Legbars are for test hatching for White Sport gene).

Nice mix! Hopefully you will end up with a pullet with your Jubilees, lol. There are some more Orps up for auction and I am getting a itchy trigger finger. Trying to show some restraint. I am trying to keep my hen count at a total of 15. And my BBM and Lav Ams are due tomorrow. I have some chirping going on this am, so when that thermostat slipped the other nite, hopefully it didn't do too much damage. Good Luck on your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom