Illinois...

My bantam cochin's from @ellymayRans are getting so big!! Pretty sure they are all roos
hmm.png
but I'm holding our hope on one! The boys will need a new home in a few weeks if anyone is interested.
smile.png
2 frizzle, 2 smooth.

That is such a bummer. I will keep my fingers crossed for that 1 pullet!

Well have 5 that have hatched, 1 still chirping in the incubator. 1 chick has a sprayed leg, of course jumped on here to find a thread on what to do. So after using kitchen twine to tie his legs together, I tried wrapping him up tight in newspaper like the thread said, HA

so after many attempts this was another option that I went with. I hope it works. His legs are still tied together and they are under him like they should be inside this Tupperware and solo cup contraption (he kept pushing himself out of the Tupperware so had to add some height.) But otherwise they all seem to be doing great! Not a bad hatch either for shipped eggs. Received 9 eggs, 1 was a clear. Hopefully the BBMs do as well and then the Orps.

@Junibutt hopefully a couple more will start developing.

Last edited:
Well have 5 that have hatched, 1 still chirping in the incubator. 1 chick has a sprayed leg, of course jumped on here to find a thread on what to do. So after using kitchen twine to tie his legs together, I tried wrapping him up tight in newspaper like the thread said, HA

so after many attempts this was another option that I went with. I hope it works. His legs are still tied together and they are under him like they should be inside this Tupperware and solo cup contraption (he kept pushing himself out of the Tupperware so had to add some height.) But otherwise they all seem to be doing great! Not a bad hatch either for shipped eggs. Received 9 eggs, 1 was a clear. Hopefully the BBMs do as well and then the Orps.

@Junibutt hopefully a couple more will start developing.
Cute babies!

On the slpayed chick, your tupperware is too wide, it has to be small enough for legs not to move out from under the chick. Ideally, if you have a small coffee cup that works better.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for my Day 7 candling due tomorrow night. If all the shipped eggs are duds, I may give the remaining to "Talia" my Barnevelder who is solidly broody as of yesterday.

Thanks @Junibutt I new someone would give me a better idea. Was looking for something smaller but apparently my brain wasn't working. Thank you! And how long should I keep her in the cup?

Thanks @Junibutt I new someone would give me a better idea. Was looking for something smaller but apparently my brain wasn't working. Thank you! And how long should I keep her in the cup?
Usually 24-48 hrs is good enough and after that you can let them try walking with the legs still tied up. They will more likely hop, then walk but once they have reached started balancing, you can cut the ties off and see if they can walk correctly.

Here is another video from youtube where the cup was not needed, only a tie worked. I personally prefer small band-aids instead of wide rubber-bands. Nice music though!

Its important to feed them and hyrdrate them with a dropper/syringe if they are more than 48 hrs old.

Usually 24-48 hrs is good enough and after that you can let them try walking with the legs still tied up. They will more likely hop, then walk but once they have reached started balancing, you can cut the ties off and see if they can walk correctly.

Here is another video from youtube where the cup was not needed, only a tie worked. I personally prefer small band-aids instead of wide rubber-bands. Nice music though!

Its important to feed them and hyrdrate them with a dropper/syringe if they are more than 48 hrs old.
Thanks, I am giving them water and food. I have 2 now and its just one leg on each of them. I usually use paper towels for the brooder, but this time I used pine shavings. Wondering if that is what is doing it. They clear a spot of all shaving, then lay down in bare spot. I put paper towels back down just in case. Thank you for the help.

Can chicken change their egg shape ?

My young Blk Orp (13 months old) started laying in late Dec. Her eggs were always bullet shaped, then very irreg. bullet shaped. Then, I believe she stopped, b/c I no longer see those strange-shaped eggs. Her last egg (for sure) was a week ago. That one was also kind of thin shelled.

Samples of her weird eggs from several weeks ago:

Anyway, I have not seen any bullet-shaped eggs for a week. So could the shape change to a larger, more standard-shaped egg? I have gotten those & given the credit to another hen of the same age.
OR
Could my hen have a problem?

Her comb is slightly more pale, but not the kind of dull pink during a molt. (No big feather loss, but a few black feathers found around the coop.) No change in activity or eating. No breathing issues.
I saw her make a runny, yellowish color poop today. i did not see worms in it - with my eyes. I looked for little bugs by the vent & wings & found none. Her legs & feet look fine.

I have chick starter (free choice) in the coop due to a broody & chicks eating everything in sight. Oyster shell is available separately.
Treats are mostly veggie peelings from the kitchen. Sometimes hard bread or scratch thrown in. Due to AI, they are either in the coop/run or on rotation in a chicken tractor in the grass.

So in summary the only things I may have right now is a drop in egg production & one yellow tinted runny poop. Any suggestions of other things to look for? or Am I being overly cautious? (Last time i thought I had a problem - impacted crop - it turned out to be a simple case of an overeating hen before bed.

Loved the music and video!

Last edited:
Cute babies!

On the slpayed chick, your tupperware is too wide, it has to be small enough for legs not to move out from under the chick. Ideally, if you have a small coffee cup that works better.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for my Day 7 candling due tomorrow night. If all the shipped eggs are duds, I may give the remaining to "Talia" my Barnevelder who is solidly broody as of yesterday.

Well, bad news over here. Candled the Orps and I have 1 out of the 4. The 5th one I was unsure about on day 7 was a clear. So we are both in the same boat. Wish it was going the same as this hatch, 4BBMS out of 5 and 5 Lav Ams out of 9, of which 1 was clear. Going to have to try again.

Well, bad news over here. Candled the Orps and I have 1 out of the 4. The 5th one I was unsure about on day 7 was a clear. So we are both in the same boat. Wish it was going the same as this hatch, 4BBMS out of 5 and 5 Lav Ams out of 9, of which 1 was clear. Going to have to try again.
I think its nature's way of telling us "Take a break!"

Back
Top Bottom