Illinois...

Yes, I thought so too.   I started a thread on another section:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1035157/receiving-roosters-with-a-pullet-only-order about it.  I wanted to make sure I was not going crazy!  LOL

I would not have minded 5 of them by accident, but 15 is crazy.

Wow, I just read the replies you got from the hatchery, unbelievable... It's bad enough they are reluctant to admit they failed to sex them properly and give a refund but then to then follow up and insinuate the 'boys' are not the breed you ordered, just leaves me shaking my head in disbelief... I don't know what is worse refusing to acknowledge they failed to sex properly or suggesting they are a different breed... It's almost as if the individual emailing you has absolutely no clue about their operation or chicken breeds and sexing in general, or is playing games with you trying to get you to go away and not push for the refund... Glad to here you got the refund in the end, but still...

I was glad it was not a credit too. They refunded the cash via Paypal.

Still, I have to deal with the roosters. Not sure how much they should go for. They are a feisty group compared to the hens.

Not sure how much they should go for.  They are a feisty group compared to the hens.

From my experience at livestock shows and looking over the local Craigslist regularly for common breed started roosters if you really want them to go quick, they are worth little to nothing, sadly you probably have more invested in feed cost then they are worth at this point...

I butcher my extra roosters. Call a locker and see if they will do that for you. It's cheaper and kinder and, even if they are older than one year old, when you cook them slowly they are really delicious.

Here are a couple pics of the cockerels.

They all pretty much look alike at this point. ;) I am fairly close to Gurnee Mills/Round Lake area. If I could get rid of 10 we might be ok keeping the others to see how it goes.

I was glad it was not a credit too. They refunded the cash via Paypal.

Still, I have to deal with the roosters. Not sure how much they should go for. They are a feisty group compared to the hens.
Thanks for linking to that thread, I can't believe they have you a hard time. Hope word gets out to others (including Estes)!!

Back
Top Bottom