Illinois...

I understand what it's like to have a roo with frostbite. Last winter our roo had a very tall comb & we went through 2 polar blasts. (Remember those days we the day high was -10'F and the night temps felt like -40'F? I certainly do!) I applied Vaseline nightly, but it really didn't help in those temps. Below is the frostbite progression from Jan 31- early March.

I apologize if the pics are gross. I do not know how to hide them until clicked.

The 1st "normal" pic was taken in early Dec. & the 2nd on Jan 31st - after the 1st arctic blast.

After 3 or 4 weeks Tank was looking better. The next pic was taken 2 days later. We had just gotten another round of below zero temps.

In general, the affected areas turned black & eventually fell off. I was told that rubbing ointments on it may cause it to bleed & it's better to allow things to heel on their own. I followed this advice & he didn't experience much blood. (Once he bumped it in a doorway, but otherwise, no blood. Just new pink skin when the the scabby black fell off. New tips were rounded & no longer pointy.) Most of the healing happened when it warmed up in March. From time to time (& when it was well above freezing) I sprayed some Vetericyn on his comb. I avoided the ointments.

The unfortunate end to his story is that Tank was unpredictable around other people. My family had a few colds in March (so the pics stopped) & then my mom unexpectedly died in April. Chickens went to the bottom of the list & my attention had to go toward the funeral & helping my dad. Since my children had to care for the animals, Tank had to go.

Here was my CCL. She has a larger than normal comb & some tips had frosting. In her case, this was as bad as it got. When the temps warmed, her comb went pink again.

This year, my orps have much better-looking combs - not as tall - and the temps did not get as cold. I applied Bag Balm nightly when the temps dipped into the single digits & below. My boys have a few white tips but nothing severe like last year. I've never had any frozen toes. The waddles are hard to keep dry. I removed all water dishes so they drink safely from the nipples. What I can't prevent is the waddles dropping down into the snow. (A few of mine love to eat snow.)

Same here! My SL Orp got frostbite on the back end of his comb! I should have kept them in the coop that day. Everyone else seems to be ok, except for him. Someone told me to put scarlet oil on his comb, of course I had to order it. Feed store doesn't carry it. Should be here in a couple of days.

my first winter w/chickens since the 70's .... a vent got closed Sunday night and Monday one of my roo's had swollen wattles .. looks better today.. I have 2 roos and 6 hens so one needs to go anyway. I am still trying to decide which one. This one is a gentleman but the other looks for hawks better. I figured I would wait and see if one gets mean or something...at least that is my excuse lol

my first winter w/chickens since the 70's .... a vent got closed Sunday night and Monday one of my roo's had swollen wattles .. looks better today.. I have 2 roos and 6 hens so one needs to go anyway. I am still trying to decide which one. This one is a gentleman but the other looks for hawks better. I figured I would wait and see if one gets mean or something...at least that is my excuse lol
Swollen wattles is most likely from them hanging in the water when drinking and then being exposed to the cold. If you have a metal waterer or feeder, the damp wattles can stick to them and cause additional damage. Good news is that I had one with wattle damage (past winter) and he is fine....shorter wattles now that the damaged tissue sloughed off but no lingering problems from it.

I had a giggle after taking this pic.

Here's another one with funny timing. I was using a piece of bread to make Bubbles pose. After I got the camera in focus, she decided to stop posing & popped up to grab the bread instead. I like the shadow of her feet.

Here's another one with funny timing. I was using a piece of bread to make Bubbles pose. After I got the camera in focus, she decided to stop posing & popped up to grab the bread instead. I like the shadow of her feet.
Cool pics! Your rooster looks like a body builder in the "Hulk pose"!

Love the feet shadow!

Last edited:
Last weekend, my roos got some frostbite on some of the tips of their comb. When temps drop far below zero, there's not much (other than heat) that will prevent it. During the day it warmed to 4'F, but a few days of severe cold are just rough.

Mr Roo got it worse. He likes to eat snow, so there's some injury to his wattles as well.
There's also some dirt stuck to him thanks to the vaseline.

Prince Charming has a much larger comb, but it looks like only the very tips got some frostnips.

Like Molpet, I had a hard time deciding which roo to keep. They are brothers & get along very well. They even choose to sleep next to each other.

Great pics! Love the body builder pic.

Back
Top Bottom