Illinois...

Lol aww yeah Lacey doesn't take up too much in the nest boxes either she's about 6 months older than Trouble I think perhaps a bit bigger BC of it idk. I do have to say Lacey looks hilarious all flattened out kind of like someone took a rolling pin to her lol idk how she does it but she does. :) she is determined to cover those eggs though lol. Okay I'm off to do a final bed check. I have a feeling DH2B didn't look under the chickens when he was out earlier. Apparently a couple of my former broodies are trying to sleep in the nest boxes tonight or so I'm told. Mary Anne was taken from her chicks early on BC of aggression. Lovey was taken from her chicks today BC she kept leaving them all over the place. They're about 4 weeks could she be trying to tell them they're on their own? These are my first broodies and idk what to make of them. I swear they need to be medicated lol they all have post partem depression. Okay that isn't really funny in people but the amount of change I see in my broodies personalities are insane.

Anyway the point is does everyone have this much trouble or just me? And one of Lovey's chicks was a little black oegb could she really think that chick is ready to be on its own or is she just a bad mother? This was only day two of being unseparated from the main flock they've been visible for days. But why did she just today stop calling them. I think she barely noticed when I took them away.

I have two that hatched chicks for the Easter Hatchalong. One (raised chicks in the past) is still mothering her chicks, the other (first time momma) weaned hers last weekend at four weeks. They are all different. The chicks are fine on their own at four weeks, especially if there are siblings. They stick together and sleep in the nest box in the broody coop she had them in. Their momma stays with the main flock while free ranging and they tend to stick closer to the coop and the other broody hen that still has her chicks with her.

Thank you for the response. This was her first time so maybe she had decided to wean them. I decided it was a good idea to put them on the other side of the building in case they needed some supplemental heat. Both of my other two broodies that still have their chicks are doing a wonderful job but their chicks are a week younger.

Sad morning over here. Went out and fed the guys, came in and sat down for a cup of coffee and noticed the coop door had blown shut. Went back out to open the door to find my Thelma (CCL) laying dead in front of the nesting boxes. Couldn't believe it, she was just out eating her morning treats. I will miss my little girl.

Did the door hit her or did something else happen?
sad.png

hey guys, im in northern il. ready to get me some pet chickens and im wondering if anyone knows if its legal to own backyard chickens in park ridge illinois
idunno.gif
caf.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom